That dern doe

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

Astoria is her name. I've posted about her several times.

First I couldn't get her bred. Then it seemed she was already bred. I did a blood test for pregnancy, but she appeared to be ready to kid b4 I got the test back.

Then I posted "Please tell me I'm wrong." I thought she was gonna kid just b4 Christmas.

Now I'm thinking she'll prolly kid based on the last cycle the previous owner saw. She has no idea who did the deed. 150 days would be 1/9.

So I've been watching her closely at least twice a day.

So she's still jiggly in the rear, although I can feel her ligaments. The udder has only grown a little. I was hoping that the udder would be my "clue" that things were gonna happen soon.

Tonite, she had hay stuck to her vulva. So there's been some sort of discharge.

So do I worry about her kidding without an udder, or wait for a bigger udder? In other words, do I do two hour checks tonite? :groan

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Maybe this will help...

S C R E A M ! :crazy

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I wouldn't wait for a bigger udder. There is one doe that another breeder has who never gets an udder until after she kids, and right away she get a lovely udder. So goats are just weird (as I think we all know, lol) and I don't usually go off of udders, I usually go off of if they have discharge of course along with everything else.

I know what 2 hour checks are :D. Doing two hour checks though did pay off last year with one doe - we had been checking on her all night long, and then at 5:30 am while it was hailing like crazy and cold outside we checked and there were wet triplets. Thankfully we were there though since there is no way she would have been able to dry them and keep them warm, and one was stillborn and on top of a live one (they just plopped out right on top of each other), and of course she was licking the dead one ;).

Hope this helps,
    Suriyah

4. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

You know, there is just no telling. I had Robin over at the house once and we were looking at a LM doe that was due. She still had her ligaments, was up at the gate with the rest of the does -- just looked perfectly normal. 20 minutes later I was on the phone with Robin on her cell telling her to turn around and come back - she was pushing!

Robin accused me of making an April Fools joke (it was April 1st :))

I am fairly certain that by the time I am doing 2 hour checks it will be at least -20F. It's simply a given.

Tracy

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep sorry I would be checking but she probalby won't deliver until the 9th:) At least I would put her up in a warm cozy place ea night. I have a doe that didn't develope and udder for 2 days after she freshened.

6. Truly

Truly New Member

Well Tracy, we're having a heat wave here. It got up to 47 degrees. However, there is no moon, so I can't see a thing out there.

So it'll either be pitch dark, or below zero, I suppose.

I plan to check her after the news. :sigh

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep, Ric came over one Sunday after church to see the girth of a doe I was wondering if she was even bred, with no udder...cloudburst for sure....she kidded the next morning with twins and milk galore! Vicki

8. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Is there any way to rig up a baby monitor on her at night? I find it easier to visually check through the day time, and listen through the night, going out to check if I hear anything suspicious. That way you don't get completely woken up every check time, and if she holds off and doesn't kid for a few weeks, you can continue to "keep an eye on her" without becoming a zombie by the time she finally does kid. Good luck, and just remember these does are trying to drive you crazy...don't let them!!!

9. Truly

Truly New Member

Well, she's obviously inching closer, but no babies yet.

I was up three times in the night. All the does thought it was wonderful that I came to visit them.

This AM we had six tons of pellets delivered. I thought maybe all that ruckus would bring her on, but nope.

What would I be listening for on a baby monitor? My limited experience with births hasn't been too noisey.

I know she has only started with the "does creed" for birthing and driving the humans crazy.

She's a big girl with good lineage so I'm looking forward to seeing those babies. Of course, I'll have to DNA to find out the sire, bummer.

I'll keep y'all informed.

10. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I've been wakened from a deep sleep by the splashing sound of the water breaking, the sound of pushing accompanied by soft grunting, and the sound of a newborn maa has me half-way across the floor before my eyes are open. When I wake and listen I know I don't need to go out if I hear the mama-to-be munching hay, or loudly snoring. I sometimes go check when I hear her digging industriously.

11. Truly

Truly New Member

My desire is to be present at the birth, keeping babies away from mama for CAE prevention.

And sleepless or not, I love to watch them being born.

Currently I'm not working outside of home, so I can sleep after they are born.

12. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

Ours normally do the "big fill" right before they kid. Course we've had a few who had taken great sastifaction in watching me sleep in the barn in mid Jan with them. I couldn't almost hear her giggling.

13. Truly

Truly New Member

Bagging up is the only sign I have left to watch for. So I hope that happens prekidding. She looks a tad bigger today, but not "there" yet.

Maybe I'll sleep in the barn tonite.

14. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Good luck- and have fun sleeping in the barn :lol

I love it at Sandy's house (Reuel). They have barn cams- I want barn cams, lol.

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Might be a good idea! :really The year before, I would have bet you $50 that Rose wasn't even pregnant 10 minuets before she kidded. No udder, wasn't even big. My DH called me from another shed that I was rambling in saying "something ooky's comming outta Rose!" I had to go see what he was talking about, when I walked in, she laid down and had twins. So don't be counting on that udder! :biggrin