THANK YOU!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I would just like to express my thanks to all of you folks.....
    Last year, one of our Alpine does had trouble delivering triplets.......they were all fighting to be the first-born, and so I had to "go in" for the first time, and untangle those brats, and make them take turns being born....)
    Mama goat got VERY ill a few days later, and we almost lost her.... and would have, I am sure, as I called the vet, and they told me she was just fine but needed lots of grain.......(UGH!)

Then I asked YOU guys, as I just KNEW, that was REALLY bad advice.....(I NEVER call on these folks anymore about my goats, as they seem to know nothing about them.) With the help from you all, both Mom, and all three triplet girls were okay!!!!!!!! :biggrin

Anyway....(from advice taken on this forum), we had oxytetracycline flown in and delivered...as all I had on hand, was procaine pen-g, and it was obviously not working,,,,,,,,,,,it was almost too late for our gal, but, the oxytet, along with other intensive measures, saved her life, and the life of her triplet gals...... kinda funny.. it cost us $25.00 to air deliver an $8.00 bottle of meds....... But we needed it, and we needed it badly! Old Nina recovered with that, and probiotics, and electrolytes, heat lamps and sweatshirts, etc..

Well, THIS year, (as this old girl just INSISTS on being the drama queen every year, apparently, lol) poor old Nina got into trouble again, and I had to go in elbow-deep once again and deliver a single baby hippo! lol...... Thanks to things I learned from you all last year, I had all of the meds on hand.........and Mama is doing GREAT, and so is her baby hippo single! (He was 12 pounds, and was stuck, trying to be delivered with 3 legs at once.) Thanks to YOU guys, I made sure to have everything on hand that we MIGHT need, and it all came in VERY handy...(oxytetracycline, probiotics, B-Complex, probiotics, etc...) and she, tho she got a little sick at first ,the morning after birthing, we were able to nip it in the bud this time, and mom and baby are fine at 5 days............THANK YOU! Instead of fighting for her life, we are celebrating that she is chewing her cud, loving her baby, and licking my NOSE!!!!!!!! Thanks AGAIN, you guys!!!!! :biggrin If old Nina could type, I am sure she would be thanking you, as well!

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm so glad she's doing well. Too bad you have an ignorant vet. Mine is fairly good and has me give Biomycin when we have anything that could cause infection in birthing kids.

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

That's great! Isn't it a nice feeling having lots of goodies in your goat kit? And better yet, knowing how to use them?

Glad old Nina is doing well, and Hippo is thriving too (is that his name? :biggrin) Again, congrats.

Camille

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Congratulations on a healthy birth even tho he is a hippo :) so glad everything turned out ok.

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Actually, we call him Bruiser.. lol... and old Nina has no milk, (due to bad bouts of Mastitis, before and after we got her,) so we bottle-feed her boy...(she was our first goat since getting back into them a few years ago, tho, so we keep her....rolling my eyes. lol) I had not had goats in many years, but then bought the old girl and her daughter, and so she has a place here as herd-queen....and she lets the others know it. daily. lol.
    YES! It is WONDERFUL knowing we have on hand, whatever we might need! We even have Lactated Ringers that I ordered JUST for her after the problems last year, but, thanks to info we learned here last year, (and were able to nip problems in the bud this year,) we did not need it!
    I even got our vet to sell me some injectable CMPK just before Christmas this year! Was funny... dog was sick so took her in, and asked if I could buy some CMPK while there...the vet told me they had not been to the farm in a long time to see our goats, so told me "NO!" I then, (BOLDLY said, lol.. as I am kinda shy,) that they had NEVER had to come and see our goats, but had come out to see the cows! SO, (maybe it is because it was X-mas Eve, I dunno,) the vet sold us some CMPK injectable! Just one more weapon for our arsenal! We were SO happy!
    On behalf of our Caprine friends, we thank you guys for all of the help, advice, and experience we have found on this forum!