Texas Dairy Regs

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. Sheryl

    Sheryl New Member

    Okay, I've forgotten the link that gives the regs for a dairy liscense here in Texas. Even If I could find it again, I've read it hundreds of times, and it's mostly greek to me. Please any Texas Dairy Goat person on this list if you have a goat dairy liscense in Texas help me understand. Remember you have to explaine it like you were talking to a blonde.

    My Sister and her new husband are talking about moving back to Texas to my Dad's 72 acre farm (where I live) and building a home. My new BIL whom I met for the first time 3 days ago, saw my 4 year old grandbaby playing in the goat pen and saw the horrible condition of my old cow milking barn (or should I say my dad's). The roof is almost all off, the inner roof is still on. but the tin flaps in the wind. He told my sister that he was afraid the barn would cave in on the grand baby or a piece of tin would fly off and hit her. (my hubby doesn't work-disabled) and I don't have the money or the physical ability to replace the roof. It would be a major job on this old tile dairy barn. Soooooo he is talking about tearing the whole thing down, using the existing concrete floor with drains, and expanding the barn wider and longer. I showed him what I used for a milking room, which has a drain and is all concrete walls, but that will come down when the barn does (all the windows are broken out too.

    He is willing to build me a milking room good enough to pass inspection for a diary license. If I ever decide to get one and I'm not sure I do, but want my milking room to be ready if I do, I want a license to sell raw milk. Isn't that a grade B????

    What i need help with is I don't know what to tell him to build. I was told you needed a small stainless steel hand washing sink, and a seperate 3 bay stainless deep sink like reastaurants use. I also thought you had to have hot and cold running water, and a drain in the floor. The walls have to be washable. What about the ceilingl???? And if so what kind of material do you use. Is there a specific type of washable walls you have to have? I would prefer to be able to hose it down. Now, do you have to have a seperate room to handle the milk in? What are the regs for that? Does anyone know? Help please. If my new bil is willing to do this for me, I want it done right and I know he's gonna be counting pennies. any help would be greatly appreciated.


  2. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    OK first off Texas doesn't have Grade B only Grade A and the regs are the same as for dairy cattle.
    Supposedly 8ft walls supposely but think they will be leaniant on that for goats as for the milking area it doesn't have to have a cement floor with drain but would be much better. you will need a sink in there to be able to wash down udders etc so yes hot and cold running water. this milking area does not have to be air tight or totally inclosed. However the milk handleing room does have to be air tight and completly inclose if attached to the milking area any doors to the parlor have to be a certain way so that they won't allow any dust /feed/hay to enter. in the parlor you have to have at least a dbl deep sink with hot and cold running water. If you sell the milk it is on farm only and there has to be a separate area outside of the parlor just for sales with refrig /freezer and a bathroom for customers. I have all the papers on it somewhere. Plans are supposed to be sent to the state for approval.

  3. Yes you have to have a bathroom in the dairy barn now. That is a Fed guideline.

    The doors in the milk house have to be self closing with not direct contact with the stable area. Any windows have to have screens on them at all times. Walls have to be washable...the best is fiberglass dairy board. Ceilings dont have to have washable but have to be painted white or a light color.

    -Your hot water has to be atleast 160F.
    -Water from a clean source...well or city water...they test this before any premit is givin out.
    -Milk house has to have a free flowing drain with a concrete floor with no cracks or water puddles.
    -Never heard that you could milk on a dirt floor....that is one that I would want to check out. Most of the time in the parlor what I have been around it has to have a cement floor with a drain.
    -Parlor able to be washed down with a hose, and kept clean at all times
    -If you have any wood of any sort it has to be painted with no chips in the paint

    That is just what I can think of off the top of my head. I would make sure that you check the Federal Requirements since you will have to follow the PMO in order to sell any milk products.

    Ken in MI
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    yeh Ken there is some sort of exception in the floors but abt how then have to be cleaned and limed or some such thing. Then of course you have to have your does tested like 4 times a year or more and milk tested every month which you pay for plus 3 yrs ago the license per year it's self was $350.00 so I finally gave up even trying to get it done. However will build my new barn to specifications just in case I chg my mind now.
    Have to sell a lot of milk to pay in my opinion.
  5. Feral Nature

    Feral Nature Active Member

    Ken, I couldn't get the link to work :sniffle
  6. hang on i have it pulled up here....lets see if i can not get it to work this time....

  7. WELL...that try did not work....Lets try this one:


    Then click on Chpater 217

    You have to have a cement floor in the parlor just use lime on it if you can not pressure wash it down. That is what I read. Alot of the rules are really just repeats of themselves. But, that is the requirements in Texas

    ken in MI
  8. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    I have fixed the link above it now works.
  9. Qvrfullmidwife

    Qvrfullmidwife New Member

    Also...talk to your local inspector. Each one will have the requirements that they are adamant on and those that they will have flex on.
  10. BlueHeronFarm

    BlueHeronFarm New Member

    We are about 85% done with our milk barn/cheese kitchen. At this time we are not seeking the Grade A license, just the cheese license, but we are building to Grade A Raw for Retail code so we can add either milk license as we have the time and resources to finish those parts of the building and/or when the cheese begins to fall under dairy regs. (So, in other words, the milking side of our building is not going to have "to-code" finished walls when we first start selling cheese)

    My VERY best advice, as LeeAnne said above, is to contact your inspectors early and talk to them every step of the way.

    Ours is being flexible on the ceiling issue. Our walls are 8 foot, covered (or they will be by day's end) with food-grade HDPE paneling in the kitchen. The building actually has higher ceilings - vaulted - and are lined with foil insulation. He said if we keep them clean, we don't have to put in a ceiling. We are keeping in mind that he may not be our inspector for eternity, so we may have to put in a ceiling some day.

    Things they are not so flexible on will include doors (must swing out and must self-close), wall coatings, floors/drains, sinks. We found our 3-bay on craigslist...still looking for our hand sink. ;)

    I don't know where in Texas you are, but we welcome anyone who wants to come see our building and talk about the process.
  11. Rose

    Rose New Member

    I figured it would cost me between $30,000 and $50,000 to build what the Texas regulations required.

    As I have two or three other careers going, I don't have a) the time, or b) the money. :help
  12. stacy adams

    stacy adams New Member

    Is there a "written" requirement for a cheese kitchen? I would love to have a place to process cheese other than the kitchen in my house, what with the house dogs & hubby roaming around, I know it isn't to code for cheese made there to be sold to the public.
    BTW BHF, loved your website :)
  13. BlueHeronFarm

    BlueHeronFarm New Member

    Currently, in Texas, cheese falls under the manufactured foods license. ...which is essentially "commercial kitchen" -- there are regs for that. However, Texas is currently drafting/approving legislation that would put cheese under the pasteurized milk ordinance. That is why we are building to dairy code.

    Depending where you are (how close to "civilization") it is often possible to rent time in an already approved commercial kitchen - many churches have them, schools, too. Some will rent space in off hours. Another option is a small restaurant that only does breakfast/lunch... But this is strictly "gray area" as far as the state of Texas goes and is about to be legislated out of possibility.

    Thanks for checking out my website. :)
  14. Tricia

    Tricia New Member

    Plus, Texas regs for cheesemaking are about to change? Like Maine, Texas has allowed pasteurizers and facilities for cheesemaking that do not meet the federal "Pasteurized Milk Ordinance" or "PMO" for farmer-to-consumer sales? In December I talked to Debbie Ferrell (near Austin in Texas) who was having problems with inspectors re-interpreting the criteria for her and Red's cheesemaking license.

    I agree with LeeAnne and Lisa that the best start-up advice is to meet with your state dairy inspector. My cheesehouse basically meets all the requirements in the PMO except that there's no bathroom. The house bathroom is about 50' away in our main residence and that was good enough for my inspector. I'm just as happy not to have a toilet room in the cheesehouse. My milk room in the barn is not very compliant at all (lots of wood, some sealed and some not, no sink) but is very clean (I use a vacuum cleaner), well-lit, and exclusively used for milking. Because my milk tests are consistently very good, I've not been asked to upgrade.

    The PMO is actually pretty readable and gives the rational for why the regulators want you to do things a certain way. Most states have adopted most or all of the PMO into their regs. Here's the link to a .pdf of the 2003 version (I can't find the current 2006 version on-line):


    (My post overlapped with Lisa's -- thanks for the clarification on current TX standards.)