tetanus?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

One of the kids born out of quads is acting a little off this morning. She is in a group that are still inside because they are younger/smaller than the others. Last night they all took the bottle fine including this doeling. This morning she was slower to get up as i fed the others. When I went to feed her, noticed she had a lot of drool around her mouth which is odd. She also had a hard time opening her mouth to get the bottle but would eat willingly once the nipple was in her mouth. Slight clear discharge from her nose...very slight. I am going to find my thermometer and get a temp...She did get plenty of colostrum and her dam was given her CDT prior to kidding. This doeling is 1 week old. Will post again when I get a temp...nothing has changed in her diet...she is getting a mix of goat milk and whole cow milk. Navel was dipped at birth. The whole not opening her mouth as wide part leads me to think maybe tetanus, although I have yet to deal with it in any of my goats. I do have antitoxin on hand...

2. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

temp is 104 and she is starting to breath a bit heavily...will trying calling the vet...

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

navel ill at this age would be my first thought regardless tho if you really think tetnus then give the full vial of tetnus toxoid 3 days and also antibiotic

4. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

It sounds like aspiration pneumonia to me.

5. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

my vet thought it sounds like aspiration pnemonia as well and recommended Naxcel...which I do not have but can pick up from him (although it is a 40 min drive and they want me to bring her in too which will probably = a nice vet bill). Is this the best to treat it? I do have pen g, LA 200 and nuflor on hand.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think that Nuflor is one of those that supposed to work pretty good on this.

Double check it though.....I've never had to treat for this.

WHIM

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Nuflor is good for aspiration pneumonia. My vet prescribes 1/2 cc for a week old kid. When I've given this dose for three days, it's worked well for me. Kathie

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Don't forget the banamine for lung scarring. 1/10th/10#'s.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And do all the normal stuff also. Bo-se, even for several days in a row, and vitamin E by mouth...400 IU so when you snip the end and squirt it into her mouth she gets at least the 300 IU daily she needs, sometimes this is all that is needed to turn a kid around. In fact with triplets out of your first fresheners and quads or more out of your older does, it should be routine, they simply can't bring in enough nutrition to help with the colostrum issue not containing alot of E, which will cause this nutritional muscular destropy that they group now with white muscle disease...which really is more about them not controling their tongues, having stiff joints and not opening their mouths. I wouldn't further stress her out with a vet visit, use the nuflor, go pick up the banamine, jacket her, keep her warm with her friends, don't take her into the house alone, take one of her sisters with her.

But no it isn't tetanus in a kid this young, tetanus has a 21 day incubation period from wound to death. Vicki

10. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

well i had to leave the house so just now got these posts. The vet did let me get the naxcel (gave it to a friend who met me 1/2 way) so I didn't have to take her in. Man is it expensive! Gave her the first dose. Will follow the rest of the advice with the banamine, bo-se and vit e. She is in with one of her sisters and another tiny doeling out of trips that just aren't big enought to hang with the others yet. The vet told me to give her .2 cc's IM 1x per day for 5 to 7 days. Does that sound right? She weighs about 3 lbs. I will look it up after I finish typing this. Thanks...hopefully this will help.

11. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Just double checked her weight...2.2lbs

12. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Just got home from work and she already seems to have improved alot. Breathing is much better, more alert and much better appetite..thanks everyone!

13. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes, you're doses on the Naxel are right and YEAH for your vet in the once a day for 5-7 days.
    I actually prefer the Naxcel over the Nuflor...but some are unable to get it and Nuflor will work.

Expensive yes, but did they also tell you you can freeze the remaining liquid and use it later??? If not pm me and I'll give you the how-to's.
    Kaye