Tetanus ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tiger408, Sep 1, 2008.

1. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

This is probably a stupid question but after reading one of the posts that compared children and vaccinations to goats and vaccinations I have a question about Tetanus. I can't remember off hand how many tetanus shots children get but I know as adults you only need to get it every 10 years. Does this type of booster schedule ever go into effect for goats?

Sorry for the dumb question.... just trying to figure out how all the vaccinations work... and when and why they need them.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope their booster is at least once a year and generally twice in most cases

3. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

How many tetanus shots children get: Tetanus vaccines for children are given in the DTaP (Diptheria, Tetanus, acellular Pertussis). The schedule is 5 doses given at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 15 to 18 months, 4 to 6 years. This vaccine is only licensed for children under 7. Older children, adolescents, and adults get a Td (Tetanus, diptheria) at 11 to 12 years, and then every 10 years thereafter. Children who have adverse reactions to the Pertussis vaccine are supposed to get a Pediatric DT rather than the DTaP, but these vaccines are so rarely given that they're kept in multi-dose vials and still contain thimerosol.

The thing about tetanus in humans is that even after a person contracts tetanus, it can be treated. Also, in developed countries that have running water, soap, neosporin, etc. tetanus would be rare anyway (deep wounds that don't bleed out being the biggest concern). Our two-legged kiddos are a lot better at telling us when they have owies, too. ;)

Probably more info than you wanted. :)

4. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

Taking you must be in the medical field? LOL ... True that human kids can tell us when they get hurt and our goats can't.

Of course with things like disbudding and banding .... man-made necessary evils... I can understand needing extra protection during these times. And then once a year boosters after that unless something suspect happens... do i have that right? I want to make sure I give them the needed protection without over medicating them.

PS... thanks for the vaccination info... most of my children have grown up and moved out ... but found out last week we have a grandbaby on the way :D

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Nope, not in the medical field. :) I just started having two legged babies a little over 5 years ago, and I'm an information junkie. All that came from the CDC's Vaccine Information Statements. If you're in to vaccine research, though, I highly recommend Dr. Stephanie Cave's book _What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations_.

As for goat vaccines, I'm on here learning, too. Sondra mentioned "at least once a year and generally twice in most cases" Is that twice just for initial immunity, or do you give boosters twice a year?

6. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Alot of us give a booster right before the does are due to kid. This boost the immunity in the colostrum and helps to give the new babies immunity during those first few weeks.
    Theresa

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Believe some give the booster as Theresa stated but also 30 days prior to breeding when you also worm and give the BoSe

8. tiger408

tiger408 Guest

Thanks for the responses... really helped me to understand the why's and when's of Tetanus vaccinations... my goats thank you too :)