Testing new fragrances

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jan 28, 2008.

  1. Kalne

    Kalne New Member

    I tested 8 new fragrances today. In the past I would do a 1 lb batch for new fragrances. But I didn't want to make 8 pounds of soap. So I made a batch using 27 oz of oils and divided it up into 8 - 5 oz portions. Then I added scent to each of those (taking .7 ppo divided by my weight of oils and converted to ML so I could use pipettes - it should be a close approximation) and poured them into 'clamshells' making 8 individual bars of soap. I had everything laid out and ready to go including paper towels to wipe off my spoons & spatulas since I didn't have 8 of those and I just couldn't chance 'mixing' things up (just one of my 'things' LOL). It worked like a charm. I had to work fast 'cause I was afraid by the time I got to no. 8 I'd have soap in the bowl but I didn't. I don't think I'd try to do more than that at one time though - it was a little stressful! LOL
  2. Nigilover

    Nigilover New Member

    Whew! I'm impressed! I know I couldn't have pulled that off especially wiping spoons and spatulas inbetween! Congrats for making it to #8 still in liquid form!

  3. Ravens Haven

    Ravens Haven New Member

    Let us know how it turns out for you..that is some awesome feat to say the least.
  4. BlissBerry

    BlissBerry Guest

    Sounds exciting... and stressful. ;)

    I take my 1 ounce samples and soap at a rate of .75 ppo. These test batches become my 'freebies' when a customer places an order. I usually pour the soap into fun Milky Way or silicone molds. I get a lot of positive feedback when I do this and not to mention new customers. :D