testing for CL (purchasing goats)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Milking in Texas, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Milking in Texas

Milking in Texas Guest

I am new to diary goats. I was going to take in a couple goats for someone. The owner agreed to have them checked for CAE and CL, prior to coming to our place. One of the does came back with a positive titer to CL. Is that the same thing as being positive for CL? I am a little confused on the terminology. Any information would be appreciated.

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

It can mean 1 of 2 things. Either the goat has an active case of Cl going on or she was vaccinated with the Cl vaccine. Without knowing if she was vaccinated or not you'll never really know, unless of course you find an abscess.

Ray

3. Milking in Texas

Milking in Texas Guest

Thanks, Ray. This is what I thought, but just wanted to clarify.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Maria with your goal of milking in Texas :) I would not purchase anything that tested poistive period for CAE or CL. Although 'acceptable' in meat goats you will loose sales vaccinating for CL and having positive goats from the vaccine. When new you simply don't have the reputation it takes to be able to be trusted that it really is "only" poistive because of the vaccine. Buyer beware...do you have help in purchasing the stock you want? If you don't just ask. Vicki

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes Please just ask for help, pm Vicki

6. haeema

haeema New Member

Vicki has answered many questions for me. She shows lots of patience with nubies!! (not the goat LOL)

7. FRW

FRW New Member

Washington State University has been one of the most reliable testing facilities out here for years
    -They are the PIONEER'S, They have done 99 percent of the research and up to date a testings for CAE and are WROLD REKNOWN known for their work.Just ask several breeders out there and they will tell you who they have used for years and who they suggest to be used. It is not worth saving a few dollars to bring in a positive animal in that can
    CONTAMINATE YOUR WHOLE HERD!!!!!!

8. NubianSoaps.com

Washington State University has been one of the most reliable testing facilities out here for years
    -They are the PIONEER'S, They have done 99 percent of the research and up to date a testings for CAE and are WROLD REKNOWN known for their work.

Yes when they first came out with their form of the elissa test.

What new information have they given us from the thousands of dairy goat dollars pumped into them?

Not even in business yet, biotracking.com knew we wanted titer levels to track and we have that now.

Just very recently WSU started doing their own CL tests, before then a portion of your blood for all of the exude sent o WSU was sent off to UCDavis for their SHI test...or is it CHI. Make sure when you blood test for CL you know which test you are having done and exactly what the tests mean.

Just like Johnnes or really any other blood test you ran if you don't get more info than just positive or negative what does that really mean? And if you don't know what positive means on some tests you are worse off.

I don't think there is a gold standard of anything, I want to use labs that are people friendly and give me the results I ask for, not talk doubletalk to me when I know better. Vicki

9. chewie

chewie New Member

please don't flame me for this question, but i have been dying to ask it....what horrible problem does a cl doe create? i have culled one because of it, because of all the things i've read here, but what or why is it sooo bad? what will it do in a herd? so far, all i really know is it makes lumps that have goo in them, and that its to be avoided at all costs. i'd like a simple explaination if that'd be ok with you all.

10. NubianSoaps.com

It's a zoonic (meaning passed to ALL warm blooded mammals of which humans are warm blooded mammals), communicable disease.

The pus in the abscess and the bursting of this abscess gets the bacteria from the body of the goat into the enviornment, on you and on the stock. Both from outward abscess we see that is smeared on feeders, fence posts, barn walls and is in the soil etc...but also that is burst in the lungs and sprayed onto other goats when the goat coughs or sneezes (how many times has your goats sneezed right in your face?), mine did on me an a customer just this last week. Of course it was a buck :)

The exude in the enviornment then makes it's way into open wounds, on feeders when another goat rubs and gets a splinter, in freshly pared feet on the ground, nevel cords, orifice etc...then enters the goats body, sets up in the lymph system and forms more lumps....which then makes the lifecycle complete. The lumps ruin the carcass, it also will eventually give you abcess on internal organs and the lungs which debiltate the goats and cause chronic wasting, they literally die of starvation, or pnemonia.

For me the bottom line is my bottom line. If I had CL it would put me out of business.

Vaccination is an alternative for dairies and meat goat herds who truly have a terminal market, but few diaires only sell milk and few meat goat facilites really are only terminal. Once you sell breeding stock it puts you into another catagory. I do think that NAIS will take care of CL for us both in goats but sheep because we are still joined at the hip with USDA sheepandgoats. Vicki

11. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

So Vicki where would you send for CL test? SOUnds like biotrackking or was that CAE? I am confused...

12. NubianSoaps.com

I use UC Davis. Obviously since CL is bacteria and is a disease of the lymph glands, that negative blood test isn't a real answer, but it's all you have unless you have an abscess to test then it's 100% yes or no. Vicki

13. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I did a little research on this a while back and discovered that CL in humans is not nearly as rare as is clinically reported and it can not only get into the body through broken skin and mucous membranes, but also through unbroken skin as well. (That's why when you treat an abcess, you are supposed to wear gloves and burn all clothing and materials that came in contact with the exudate.) In humans, it causes localized andenitis and treatment includes removal of lymph nodes and antibiotics. Outbreaks of illness will be recurrent, prolonged, and painful. Scary stuff.

14. Milking in Texas

Milking in Texas Guest

Thank you soooooo much for all the advice. I declined taking the goats. It is not worth taking a chance of infecting my goats, by taking in a couple goats for someone else. I would drive myself crazy wondering if the CL was from the disease or the vaccine. Either way, it's not worth it!!! I appreciate all the input.