Terrain question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Oct 26, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Hi all. More advise, please! :) Okay, hubby and I were out walking the woods where we want to pen our bucks upon completion of barn #2. It has some great features: lots of trees, lots of rocks, and one side of the pen already has a great fence (our neighbor used to have cattle.) It's nice and large. Only one drawback: a few 10 or so foot cliffs. We were walking it with our girls, and had there not been some tempting maple leaves just over one of the cliffs, I probably wouldn't be so scared. There's a way to get around these cliffs, but I'm concerned about goats jumping, or falling, off them. Are they agile and smart enough to navigate this terrain, or do we need to fence off these cliffs if we use this area? The area for our girls has some 4 foot drops, but they handle those fine. 10 foot seems like it could be a different story. Your opinions?? Thanks!

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

About the only farm animal that I know that's more "sure footed" than a mule, is a goat. If they don't get up there seriously fighting, it would be no worry with me.

WHIM

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I can tell you this I had 3 mo old mini alpines climb a fence get on top of a 4 ft high shelter on up to an 8ft high building and jump off and come running to me all the time.

4. stoneyheightsfarm

Whew! Thanks! I was afraid I was going to come here and hear, "Do NOT do this!" :) What a breath of fresh air! :)

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Just be sure there is nothing they can get wedged in if they would happen to slip. We once had some goats in the mountains and a wether slid off a rock and got wedged by a tree branch where he couldn't get out. We lost him. After we removed the branch, we had no problems with the goats climbing on the rocks. Kathie

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Billie....For what it's worth......those rocks can serve you well as excellent hoof trimmers. My brother lives on a rocky hilltop, and he very seldom has to touch his goats feet. His goats always look like they were just trimmed yesterday.

WHIM

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Whim,

You know, I've read that, and my girls are all over rocks all the time, but I still trim monthly. I think it might be all the grain?? A friend went further back in our woods and shot a deer yesterday and brought us the liver for our chickens... I looked at that deer's hooves with envy! Smooth as can be! :)

Kathie,

I'll check that out! Thanks! :) And it will sure be easier to remove any close trees than to fence off the edge of a cliff!

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yeh I would remove any trees they might think they can reach to nibble on.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Well, them ole Rocky Top deer have to get out and walk around for their food everyday....most of our goats only have to make it to the feed bucket to get a belly full.

If I had a sunny pile of rocks for my goats to lay around on and sun in this winter......they would absolutely think they died and went to goat heaven. That would be the final makings of the ultimate spoiled goat here. The next durn thing I would have to do would be to put pink finger nail polish on their hooves.

WHIM

10. MeadowValleyFarm

MeadowValleyFarm New Member

So true, I'd be more worried about if there's any old wire or fencing sticking out.

11. stoneyheightsfarm

Whim, if you bring a really huge truck with a really sturdy ramp, I can get a bulldozer over here and get you some nice huge rocks! :) Don't know as I could help with the pink fingernail polish, though. :)

I believe we've got out all the old fencing, but I will need to trim those just-off-the-cliff tempting maple leaves. If it were any other tree, I might not worry, but maple and redbud must taste like chocolate!