Tentative 09 LA schedule -- Dates changed!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Nov 24, 2008.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Re: Tentative 09 LA schedule

Have to laugh Vicki... not all of us are from the south! :biggrin

May 13-26
    AL, FL,GA, MS*, NC(w), SC
    TBA

May 14-25
    AR,OK,TX, LA (w)
    TBA

May 14-25
    MO, KS, NE, SD, ND, IA(w)
    TBA

May 28-Jun 6
    AZ, NM, CO(sw),NV(s), CA(s)
    TBA

Jun 4 - Jun 15
    OR
    TBA

Jun 11 - 24
    CO, WY, ID, UT, MT - **
    TBA

Jun 14 - 26
    IN, KY, TN
    TBA

Jun 23 - Jul 7
    CA
    TBA

Jun 29 - Jul 8
    NY

Jun 10 - Jun 21
    WA
    TBA

Jul 23 - Aug 3
    VA, WV, NC(e)
    TBA

Jul 23 - Aug 9
    MI, OH
    TBA

Jul 29 - Aug 9
    CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME
    TBA

Aug 13 - Aug 27
    CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME
    TBA

Jul 23 - Aug 10
    MN, WI, IL, IA(e)
    TBA

Aug 13 - Aug 27
    PA, NJ, MD, DE
    TBA

Mississippi, Montana and New Mexico dependent upon 2009 participation.

Sara (who is loving her date range!)

3. coso

coso Guest

Seen that the other day on ADGA website. Mine will be 14-25 of May. I like that. Should have does clipped already for the LR show. It is first of May. Everyone should be 2-3 months fresh. Wonder who I'll get ??? Looking forward to it. Did it in 07 and had Steven Richter and learned a lot :biggrin

4. NubianSoaps.com

Pretty pleased here also, the week before our club show! I see Kenny this weekend so I will have to get my name on the list first for her services :)

Vicki

5. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I noticed the ADGA site said to give or take 2 weeks b/c all is yet tentative. How often does this happen? Not decided about LA this year (don't know if I'll have any freshened!), but if we do, I'm due 2 weeks prior to the start of IN, KY, TN dates.

6. NubianSoaps.com

Do you have someone to help that can present your animals while you just listen? We have awhile yet until deposits are due, and then the dates are set in stone, and even then we have room to then say, I can't do it this Wednesday, or that Saturday. But unless you have help fitting and the actual day of appraisal that isn't just small children, than I would pass this year. Vicki

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep we are excited too, it is right after our club show and before our other club show...all goats will be shaved and hopefully all will be fresh by then, WOOHOO now to figure out who the appraiser is, MMMMMM?

8. Re: Tentative 09 LA schedule

Just how important is it that the goats be shaved?
    With the cows we don't have them show ready. Now, we will go to the effort of removing as much of the manure as possible, but beyond that we don't do any shaving for Linear Appraisal. Our next Linear Appraisal is in January...yuck.
    And if I were to have my does LA'd and I was having the Grades done (because that is basically what I have), I would have to have all of the recroded grades classified (if they have freshened) or would it come down to all the Recorded Grade Nubians if I chose them and I wouldn't have to do the Recorded Grade Alpines unless I chose them as well, for example?
    I'm guessing a local breeder or two are going to strongly consider LAing and they have very few animals...my animals would help fill up the slack and I wouldn't mind LAing. I know they won't do well, but it will help me learn more about dairy goat build. Just trying to determine who all I go ahead and record...lol

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Jun 14 - 26 Yes!! awesome awesome! : )
    IN, KY, TN
    TBA

10. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Well, I HATE our dates. It's still too early in the year for us to be at our best. Bah. I wish we'd go back to the middle of August again.

Roseanna, I know everyone says that they need to be show clipped -- but honestly, I know quite a few herds that don't -- and they STILL got 92's! A good goat is going to be good shaved or not. A mediocre goat -- well, appraisers are only human, and maybe, just maybe, you can squeek another point out of a nicely presented animal. However, it is not required at all.

I didn't clip bucks this year, and had one go 91 and the other 89 as a yearling.

11. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Well, I'm pretty excited as this will be our first LA and June is perfect here for it. July or Aug is just too darned hot for anyone let alone a goat to be out in the sun. I suppose I could set up a walk through the side yard as it is shaded. Not trying to steal this thread but do you guys think that being a host is a bad thing? Wouldn't we as hosts get to go through first? Tammy

12. Re: Tentative 09 LA schedule

My worry would be ruining a goat by shaving it improperly.. :rofl

At this point, I like those dates for Ohio. Especially since it looks like I'll be freshening does into late June/early July this year.

13. NubianSoaps.com

I just think appraisal like showing is important, if you are going to spend that kind of money on it, do it right. Why have them hairy and then blame your scores on the appraiser being blind ;) I don't want to be able to give myself any excuses, my scores are my scores.

Roseanna, it takes about 2 minutes to learn to shave a goat :) What clippers do you have and what blade numbers? Vicki

14. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Whoo Hoo.. I've been waiting for those dates!

I learn more in one LA session than I dreamed I would. I just wished I had taped it.

BTW.. I'm hosting again this year.. for those in MS.

15. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Perfect timing here also, two weeks after our spring club show so we will be all clipped and pretty.

Paula

16. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

17. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Date
    State
    Appraiser
    Notes

May 1-13
    VA, WV, DE, NC (w)
    TBA

May 1-13
    IN, KY, TN
    TBA

April 27-May 10
    AR,OK,TX, LA(w)
    TBA

May 18-30
    MO, KS, NE, SD, ND, IA(w)
    TBA

Jun 4-Jun 16
    WA
    TBA

Jun 17 - Jun 30
    CT, MA, RI, VT, NH, ME
    TBA

Jun 10 - Jun 24
    MI, OH
    TBA

Jun 18- Jun 30
    OR
    TBA

Jul 2 - Jul 16
    MN, WI, IL, IA(e)
    TBA

Jul 18-25
    National Show

Aug 5 - Aug 20
    CO, WY, ID, UT, MT *
    TBA

Aug 22 - Sep 5
    PA, NJ, MD,NY
    TBA

Aug 19 - Sep 1
    AZ,NM*, NV(s), CA(s)
    TBA

Sep 9 - Sep 21
    AL, FL,GA, MS, NC (e), SC
    TBA

Sep 15 -Sep 29
    CA (northern)
    TBA

Never had linear in September but okay.
    Autumn

18. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

That is no good!!! I wont even have every one freshened by May 13th....ugh....and those that will be fresh will be just fresh. plus, I never clip before late May as our nights still stay cool....not a happy camper here!!

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Same here Paula, not a huge fan of the date change, but we will have to make due. Maybe I'll just do a special session in August instead... much less to worry about in August. :) Seems like we are always either right before or right after Nationals.

Sara

20. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Cows shed, goats don't. If I'm paying $225 for a session...I want my girls looking their best. Bucks?? They generally get clipped anyway to keep them cool...so no biggy.

Just wondering who? Could I be lucky enough to get John,Eric or Brett again???

Even dry, the appraisers can tell what the udder is going to look like fresh. Since I was in such a hurry to get does bred this year...even late April-May isn't going to bother me.
    Kaye