Temp of doe with hypocalcemia

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Jan 15, 2009.

  1. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    I took Pagan's temp, I've been treating her for hypocalcemia, It is 0 here right now and dropping with horrible wind chills, and this is below normal for our area. She was shaking she's shivering so hard, so I gave her the 30'cc's anyhow, but her temp came out as 102.5 f, I used a mercury vet thermometer, with my cell phone timer set to 5 mins. So Did I incorrectly use the thermometer? Took the temp Before the shots, I guess I should have shook it down and re took it.. but I was in survival mode it is so cold out there! I was giving everyone extra straw and hay and trying to finish chores quick!
    anyhow If her temp is correct at 102 +
    should I have NOT given her the calcium? I would not have, but for the violent shivering. I don't want to Hypercalcimate her! : )
    I hope I made this clear :rofl
     
  2. My goats are shivering to because of the cold. Try to stay warm!
     

  3. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    Really, none of mine are but Pagan. I was out for ever today on that bus and in the barn and in the wind. I'll never thaw! truly!
     
  4. Pagan is getting close to her due date isn't she?

    Our schools were closed today. The kids were happy. lol
     
  5. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    I think but won't swear to it, that you should be giving it to her every day until she freshens. I would put a coat on her. cut a sweat shirt to fit.
     
  6. Sweatshirt idea is a good one! I've done that before. I only had to cut the sleaves (SP??) off. Everything else fit the girls perfectly. lol :) They liked it. Kept them cozy.
     
  7. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    Well I know I should give it to her whenever her temp is under 100, every two hours. She's due the 21st. Thankfully school was closed here today the temp was -15 when we woke and wind chills to --45. Thats way colder than we are used to normal temps this time of year are 34 for the high. to dangerous for the children waiting at the bus stop.
    I had a sweatshirt on her but she ripped it off. She needs a 3 XX sweartshirt and we just dont have any she is a BIG doe.
     
  8. KJFarm

    KJFarm Senior Member

    1,197
    1
    0
    You can't hurt her by giving her the calcium anyway. What they don't absorb they excrete. So, if she's low on calcium, maybe you can keep her from getting into trouble.
     
  9. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    You know why do I beat myself up so much! Lol! After mentally chewing myself out for not shaking down the thermometer, I took her temp this morning around 11 being sure to shake it down and checked it after, yep it was down there. inserted, waited the timed 5 mins and it was 102.5 again. With her shivering I found her a vest attached with binder twine. And everyone in the barn is shivering this morning.
     
  10. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Give her the lute Sherrie, get this overwith before you loose her or the kids. You can't stop giving the calcium just because her temp is up, it's on going until after she kids. If you stop too soon after kidding before she is really eating, has a full rumen functioning (and why she is shivering) she will go down in milk fever...much easier to deal with because there are no kid concerns and draining her of energy.

    PG, CMPK, lute, Dex and get some oxytocin to help her pass her afterbirth. You may have to give calcium or the CMPK even during delivery, in fact I just did it as a fact because she will have poor contractions otherwise.

    You should have aborted her so she kidded just less than a week before her due date, not hold her on like this. Because a doe in hypocalcemia then ketosis who is on PG, will alot of the time have dead kids from the blood pressure, not the temp. Vicki
     
  11. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    Well she is due the 21st, and she would not go naturally till the 23rd.
     
  12. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    How much Oxytoxin would she need? I rmember 5 cc's of dex. I'll call the vets office and see if he'll sell me some.
     
  13. BlissBerry

    BlissBerry Guest

    Sherrie,

    It doesn't matter when she would 'naturally' go. Induce her NOW if you want to save her and her babies. Heck, she is at day 145 today. Most of my Nubians freshen on day 145 and they typically wouldn't 'naturally' kid until day 153+.

    2cc Lute IM
    5cc Dex (2mg/mL) IM

    Expect delivery in 29-36 hours.

    You don't need much Oxytocin for helping her pass her placenta. Get a few cc's to have on hand.

    Sara
     
  14. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    Thanks sara, She's eating good guys and walking. And has warm ears. thought I was doing right I'll call the vet and go induce her. Though I don't have dex or Oxy, hopefully he'll sell me some. she probably just has bucks in there anyways! : )
     
  15. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Sherrie I just get a red top vaccutiner tube of oxytocin for the kidding season, I rarely use any of it. 1/4cc to 1/2 cc is all you need at a time. Vicki
     
  16. SherrieC

    SherrieC Active Member

    1,466
    0
    36
    YAY, he sold me entire 100 cc bottles. on the ocytocin he wrote give 1-2 cc's per milking for 3-5 days ?
    on the dex 1-5 for 3-4 days? I'm giving her 5cc's she wont need a second shot of Dex will she?
     
  17. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    dex after delivery is only for congested udder if needed.
     
  18. BlissBerry

    BlissBerry Guest

    I PM'd you back Sherrie. Don't give her anymore Dex than the 5cc.

    Let us know if the situation changes.

    Sara
     
  19. Glad you were able to get what you needed. :)