Teats on a kid

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by old dominion, Jun 19, 2008.

1. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Do you find that what you see from behind on a doe kid is what you get when she is an adult. All but one set of my kids teats are perpendicular the the ground. Do you think this slight pointing outward is a sign of a weak medial?

Okay ladies, if you answer these questions you will have solved all of my current problems.

Thanks

Jolene

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

For myself it matters not. Pointing out teats unless severe have a way of resolving themselves as the does udder matures. In fact there is a way of putting your hand....like a karate chop...up into the medial and if the teats point down correctly than as an older heavier udder her teats will be fine. What is not acceptable is teats that come out of the side of the udder on the leg.

When looking at little bittie udders....the biggest thing here, and this is Nubians of course, is that you see udder, and escution and the udder and teats are not underneath the doe behind thighs.

So my two cents which because you raise Sannens isn't worth much :) You have never had to stress over udders until you have bred Nubians!!! Vicki

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

If anyone can tell anything about how a kid's udder will turn out - they know more than I do and I need to take some lessons. On some does I have to wait until 3 weeks after freshening. Whatever you do, don't cull this kid because of this - in my opinion it is not a fault yet.

4. Truly

Truly New Member

I was thinking the same as Tim. How could you possibly tell when they are babies? That's one of those things we have to wait and see on. :crazy

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Yes, agree with both of the above...and teat placement on a kid is not a good reason to cull.
    If we could do that...we could make a fortune!
    Kaye

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am also finding all my FF this year are changing big time from when they freshen til about 4 weeks fresh. They are freshening with hardly any udder then growing udders .

I am also having lots of girls who have not read the book were you look for all the signs of freshening.

Patty

Good question. I guess as long as there are 2 teats they can stay .

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If anyone gets those ultimate powers please pass them on to me :)

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

They do change alot after they freshen.