Teat dip- can I make my own?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Mar 11, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I'vebeen looking for a good teat dip-- I'd like to use the same thing for pre-cleaning and a post dip-- What are you using that you like? Only need small amounts as i'm only milking one or two.
    Can I make my own with iodine or Nolvasan? I don't really want to buy a 45 dollar gallon of Nolvasan but it'd probably last forever. would prefer not to use bleach- want something that I can pre-make and have at the ready.
    I'm really trying to get clean milk.
    thanks!

Susie

2. coso

coso Guest

I buy a gallon of Chlorhexidine at a time then mix it with water. Directions I think say 2oz per gallon put I usually pour about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch in a gallon jar then fill the rest up with water. It's only 12.95 a gallon from Jeffers and I get it here locally so I don't have to pay shipping. I pre-clean with baby wipes though. And put the Chlorhexidine in a spray bottle and spray for post.

3. susie

susie New Member

Is this what you usE? made by Priority care?

oops that's not the right link! Chlorhexadine made by priority care.

I can get this locally too I think-thanks!

4. coso

coso Guest

Go to Jeffers and search for this Chlorhexidine Disinfectant Solution. It is the same thing they make some mouth wash for humans with. The link didn't go to what I was referring to I don't thihk.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use 1/4 cup clorox to 1 gal of water.