tear ducts?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by CarlinsDarlin, Mar 19, 2008.

1. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Hi everyone.
    First, I'd like to say I've been lurking for a good while, and learning a lot from all of your posts. I'm a relative newbie with goats, and have much to learn. Thanks for all the information you share. I figured you experienced folks might be able to help me out with a question.

I have a big Nubian buck who is almost two years old. During the last week, I have noticed that his eyes (one in particular) are runny and matting up in the corner (closest to his nose). I thought at first he might be coming down with a cold, since human babies often have matty eyes when they have a cold. But, he hasn't been acting like he doesn't feel good, he doesn't have a runny nose... just gunky eyes. I have cleaned the gunk out of his eyes every day or so, and actually thought it was getting better (I thought maybe he had allergies and the recent rain settled the pollen some), but this evening I was scratching and petting on him after feeding, and went to clean out the little gunk that was still there, and noticed a knot under his left eye - just in the corner where tear ducts would be.

I think his tear ducts are clogged. I plan to take a warm wet washcloth out with me in the morning and see if he'll let me clean it up, but what else can I do to help him? I'm sure it probably hurts him or is at least uncomfortable. I've had styes and I know they're no fun. He's not the most tame thing, though he will let me pet him. Getting him on the stand to trim his feet or administer medication is a challenge, but once he's up there, he's easy enough to work with. We actually have planned to trim his feet and worm him this weekend (when my husband can help get him up on the stand), so I can give him antibiotics or anything else then if he needs them - till then I'm pretty limited with what I can do without help.

I don't want to leave it too long if it's something serious, though... Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kathy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

warm compresses should help maybe put some La200 directly in his eye if possible or take a small squirt of neosporine and just wipe in the corner of the eye with your finger his blinking will distribute it. This is what I use if just simple irritation but if pink eye then the LA200
    Welcome to the forum nice to have you out of the lurking mode.:)

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Hi and welcome! Boy, are we getting lots of folks from Ark. I had no idea!

Goats have a 3rd eyelid, if they get hay or chaff from a hanging feeder caught under this eyelid it can cause irritation. If that's the case, you should be able to apply pressure to the corner and press out whatever is under there. If not use Sondra's advice to calm it. Watch this for getting bigger and turning into a cherry eye...common in dogs...but most of the time has to be corrected with surgery if they get really large.
    Kaye

4. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Thanks Sondra and Kaye.
    I sure hope it's just an irritation and not a cherry eye in process. (I'd never heard of such a thing till you mention it - and I googled it.) I have a tendency to panic when any of my goats (or other critters for that matter) get acting like they're not feeling well...

I don't have any LA200 (will add that to my list of things to get). I'll try the compress and neosporin this morning, and will see if I can get him to let me apply pressure. He does eat out of a hanging hayrack, so it could be something in there. Hopefully it's just an irritation and this will clear it up. If not, once I have him in a headgate this weekend, I can take a better look.
    Thanks again,
    Kathy

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kathy, when getting your Tetracycline, don't buy LA200...it's sort of slang, everyone says it when meaning 200mg Tetracycline...like saying Aspirin. Buy biomycin or any other 200mg tetracycline, not LA200 which has a sting carrier. Also welcome to the forum. Vicki

6. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin New Member

Thanks Vicki.
    Ringo's eye seems to be less irritated this morning. There's still a lump under his eye, but it seems to be smaller. I tried to apply some pressure (which, amazingly, he tolerated without getting ugly), but nothing came out - so either the hay/chaff is deeply lodged, or there's nothing there. I'm voting for the latter :). The neosporin certainly has helped the irritation, though. Here's hoping he continues to improve...
    Kathy

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just a little note here on the neosporin. Most people with goats use a triple antibiotic ointment made for animals. However years and years ago with my own two legged children the pediatritian had me use neosporin in their eyes saying it worked as good or better than special eye ointments. So when I started in goats that is what I used on them also and has always worked good for me, and is something most everyone has in their med cabinet anyway.