Tea tree oil

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Nov 9, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Does anyone know if it is safe to use tea tree oil on goats? I've used it on cats, dogs and myself for fungal and other skin problems, but haven't tried it on the goats.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would put it with a carier oil and not just straight. but yes I would use it mixed

3. Josie

Josie New Member

I've used it on them- not straight but diluted. No bad reactions!! :) I love tea tree oil!

4. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

Tea Tree oil should not be used on cats. They lick it off, you know. javascript:void(0);
    Wink

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I once had a Persian cat who had a deficient immune system and had chronic ringworm. We tried everything on him including a couple of strong fungicide prescriptions from the vet that were pills we gave him. Nothing seemed to work for more than a month or so. I hated giving him those pills every few months because they are toxic when used extensively. I bathed him in cat shampoo, to which I added tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract. I'd leave it on for about 5 minutes and then rinse it off. This seemed to give him some relief.

7. WE use it in thier shampoo and have an oil mixture of Tea Tree, PennyRoyal, and grapeseed oil.
    It has helped thier coats. I wouldn't use this recipe during flushing, estrus, or during pregnancy because of the PennyRoyal, but you can while milking, just be sure not to get any on the udders. We brush some on very lightly over coat then use a papertowel around the polls to get in deep.