Tattoo Ink

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

What do you all use? I got paste and loved it, so I ordered another tube of it for this years kids. Well they were out of paste so sent me roll on ink. I have done one tattoo with the roll on before and the results were good, I just want the best tattoo I can get... So what do you all use? What are your thoughts on using the white paste on dark ears? (I use green on all my kids getting papers and black just for Boer/pet wether ID... Can't waste that tube that came with the set ;))

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

paste so it will last

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I always use paste, rub in with a toothbrush. So far all mine have held up just fine. I've seen them done with roll-on, that worked too but seemed messier.

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have used the roll on and it is messy. It works but I like the paste better.
    Theresa

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Alex, the ink will work fine. I've used roll-on ink for 20+ years and I've not had one fade out. The white ink is worthless. The way to get a good tattoo is to rub it in good, and make sure it doesn't bleed out.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Forget the white. I tried to use in Ob's black ears, every one of the holes *pushed* the white ink out and no tattoos. Had to re-tattoo every kid by the time it was 3 wks. old.
    I use the paste because I can push it down into the holes and you can see my tattoos by just standing back and looking. I've had some fade badly with the roll on...but, if that's what you have, use it but make sure you smear it in well with your toothbrush or finger.
    Kaye

7. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I find that both are equally messy. Of course, I am messy.
    At first I used the paste as I was told it was better. And it did fine.
    A friend who always had the best tattoes used the roll-on.
    So when I ran out of paste I switched back to the roll-on. I have always been told how easy my tattoes are to read, even on the old does. So I guess it works.
    the trick, I think, is tattooing deep. I like to go through the ear. I often can see the ink on the back of the ear when I do it.
    Then I keep rolling on the ink and rubbing it in. I have used a toothbrush, but I like my thumb better.....
    I think either the paste or the roll-on is fine. White fades away I am told.
    I think the green is the best.
    Les

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I have used both, I've got Green roll on right now, I haven't had any problems with it. Either is messy : ) roll on is Quicker for me.

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I have paste and roll on in my tattoo box.
    On a hot day the paste well dry out to fast so if it drys and I want to work it more I just put some roll on as well as the paste.
    Do any of you use baking soda on your tattoos?
    Fran

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

What does the baking soda do?

11. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I heard that using baking soda which is supposed to help raise the tattoo impressions.
    It could be one of those things that gets passed around and is only myth.
    Fran

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I keep cornstarch in my tattoo kit also, when I run out this year I am going to use baby powder since it will be eaiser. It does seal the ink in the ear, keeps the ink from rubbing off on faces and herdmates....keep the ink in place. I only use green paste. Vicki

13. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I use green paste and prep H for tattoos. Works extremely GREAT!!!

14. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Yes, I use the Baking Soda and rub in in after all bleeding has stopped and the holes are full of ink. Had a judge at the Tx/Ok Fair a couple of years ago, call me into the ring, to ask me how I got those raised tattooes.
    The folks who had bought the does (whose ears he was looking at) from me, were new and couldn't answer his question. So, I went in there and explained how I did my tattoo job.

15. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Janie good to know that the baking soda works.
    Some times I think we do a lot of thing that are just myth because that is the way it has been done for a long time.
    Fran

16. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I use baby powder after rubbing ink in the holes. Keeps everyone so much cleaner then when I did not use the powder. Got this tip from another forum off Vicki... AFTER I did my first tattoo and turned my buck barn green! ;) I have a doe that I always wondered what these black marks on the back of her ears were from... Then when I was doing a tattoo check on everyone in the spring it clicked in that it was from the tattoo. :) She was done with a calf tattoo set so has a large tattoo which is so easy to read.

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Frances alot of what we do is old wives tails, passed down from one old goat wife to another :) Until one of the young wipper snappers proves to us something works better! Vicki