Tattoo equipment

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Dec 7, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Well, the past few years of have paid someone to tattoo and disbud for me and with the economy the way it is and the stress of relying on other folks I need to step up and deal...so, what seems to be the best set? I have been told that the revolving one is great and others say just make sure I own two, one for the left ear and one for the right. Is there any antiseptic I should use between animals?

Thanks,

Paula

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have my old rabbit tattoo set and use alcohol between uses and cleaning everything.also ears or tails
    Think I am going to get me a pen rather than all the hole punching. Works good on rabbits not sure abt goats.

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have the standard tatto set from Jeffers. Sorry that is all it says on the box. I only have one, so what I do is do one ear and then change out the letters and numbers for the second ear. I was told not to get the one with the ear release so just got the plain one. It works well. Also, get the paste instead of the roll on ink. It is suppose to last longer or be easier to use or something. I can't remember reason now.
    Theresa

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Is that the .300 ??

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM don't know Stacy it is abt 3/8 in I think will have to go look at it tomorrow when I am out.

6. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Why would I not want the release? Remember my beauties have EARS :biggrin

Thanks,

P

7. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I have those ears also! Seems like the ears get stuck in the release or something. Maybe someone else will remember better.
    Theresa

8. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I have the 3/8 one from Jeffers with the release and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I bought 2 pliers as well which is great so you can get both those ears done with out having to switch letters.

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I purchased the Stone revolving head 3/8" pliers back in 1989 or so, and they are still going strong. Mine have the ear release also. I just leave my herd tattoo letters in one side - so much easier that having to change everything for every goat!!

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've been told ones with the release are best. I have a Stone tattoo set with the ear release. It's not the revolving kind so I have to switch back and forth. I got mine at a thrift store for a quarter and then had to order the digits from Caprine Supply. If I had to buy one new, I would have gotten the revolving kind. I clean the goat's ears with alcohol before tattooing and then use the alcohol to clean the equipment. After tattooing the goat, I've been taught to sprinkle on baking soda to set the ink. Kathie

11. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Sondra, what kind of pen are you talking about? I got so nervous when I did the tatoos, a pen sounds better.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

13. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I have three pliers. Two are the regular 1/2 pliers, the other is the 3/8. I have two herd tattooes, one for me and one for my daughter. Then I use the other for the year tattoo.
    My hubby got them at yard sales. They were like new. It is real handy that way.
    Mine have the ear release, but only on one set does it work. These are all Stone pliers.
    I have to peel the ear off on the others, but I know I am getting a good tattoo, as I try to get all the way through the ear.
    I was told to use the paste at first also. But, I have found that I get a better tattoo with the roll-on. Just rub it in real well. I have been told how easy my tattooes are to read.
    Just what works here.
    Les

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks everyone.

Paula

15. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I have the large pliers, .300 pliers, and the tattoo pen. I use it on goats but you have to have the goat sedated or do it while they are itty bitty. I just sedate my babies if I use the pen. I also have a human tattoo gun and it is FABULOUS.....I also use the paste when I use the pliers. I found out last year if you put Preparation H over the tattoo when you are through it works WONDERS with the way the tattoo comes out.

Autumn

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use the large one, you don't want the ear release because it won't let you puncture through the ear, and if you aren't going through the ear the wide part of the needles in the tattoo is not going into the ear. Look at the letters and numbers, the pointy end is pretty long, you want the thicker shaft of it in the ear the scrub (with a toothbrush) your green paste into it. I do now have an extra set so I have my right ear on all the time, but 21 years of changing out digits I don't really see the big deal. With nubians you want the larger set if you can swing it. Save money by only ordering your right ear sequence and the year date and not the whole alphabet. And although it comes with black ink, ditch it and buy the green paste, and start saving tooth brushes. vicki

17. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Yes, I like the larger tattooes. Because as the animal grows the tattoo spreads.
    I bought a buck once, that had been tattooed the day he was born with a small tattoo.
    When he got grown and I had him collected it was terribly hard to read his tattoo. The dots were way spread out.
    Les

18. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I use the Stone 300 because I like to tattoo at the same time I disbud, so I am doing pretty little ears. I have no problems whatsoever reading them on older does.

I keep 2 pairs of pliers with my herd tattoo in one permanently. I test them on a sheet of paper before I do the deed. Every once in a while you forget to swap numbers or something before you go to the next kid. It is also handy to "tattoo" the kid's sheet with its own number.

Tracy

19. shawhee

shawhee Member

What do most people use on Lamanchas? The same or something different? I still have to do my buck as he was not done when I got him. That is going to be a [email protected]!! Anyone have suggestions? He is about 8-9 mos now, and I know he is going to hate me.

20. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Shawna, when I had Lamanchas I used the same Stone 300 as I do now. I actually thought the LMs were *easier* to do than the ears, and really thought about doing all my Alpines in the tail.

It's not that big of a deal to do even a big animal. Lock him in the stanchion and have someone stand on the opposite side against him, or tie him up real short and have someone else shove him against the wall or fence while you do the deed.

Tracy