Tattoo clarification

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I have a question about what this doe's tattoo should be. I bought her mother as a bred doe from a farm--let's call them ABC Farm---with a tattoo of ABC. She was the 2nd doe born on our farm in 2008. Our tattoo is SGR1. So does her tattoo read SGR1/ Y2 or ABC/Y2 or even ABC/Y??.

Also, the herd tattoo goes in the goat's right ear (not my right looking at her) correct?? (I don't do a ton of tattooing as you can tell!)

2. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

ABC/Y2
    ABC being the breeder who owned the dam at the time of breeding.
    Y2: year letter and number order of birth, and yes their right and left not you looking at them.Tammy

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Thank you!
    :biggrin

4. Caprine Beings

Your quite welcome. Tammy

5. Truly

Truly New Member

When I have purchased animals that are already bred... the animals born at my place get my tattoo. However, they carry the breeders herd name.

It cuts down on the need for additional tattoo letters.

6. Caprine Beings

True, ADGA guidebook page 129, paragraph 1, line 3:
    ""Therefore, you must use your assigned herd-identifying tattoo letters on any animal born in your herd."
    Thank you Truly. Tammy

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Lauren,
    The way I remember which ear it goes in is to remember the picture on the old reg. forms. You're looking at the rear of the goat to the head...left on my left, right on my right. :blush I'm always having to say, Oh No, my other right. :/
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yep, this year we tattoed for the first time together. Husband disbudded I gave shots and tattoed. About 5 kids in he asked me, is your neck sore? You keep twisting your body all up. That was because I had to look over the back of the body to see which ear was right :) Vicki

9. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Tammy -- Didn't you mean that the herd tattoo should be SRG1 since the doe was born in Beverly's herd? When I brought in a bred doe (her herd tattoo is CMCK) her offspring got my herd tattoo (TSM).

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Exactly Tricia. Thank you for catching this.

Sara

11. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

If you think about it..its the only logical thing to do (tattoo in your own herd tattoo). How would you know what to put for someone elses. You could easily duplicate one of their tattoos without a lot of phone calling and hassle!

12. Caprine Beings

I did restate myself. I have already pm'ed person and am more than willing to pay for any problems with tatooing if they have tatooed wrongly Tammy.