[TAHC News] Swine Influenza Information?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Apr 27, 2009.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

From Texas Animal Health

[TAHC News] Swine Influenza Information?
    From: on behalf of Carla Everett (carla.everett@tahc.state.tx.us)
    Sent: Mon 4/27/09 5:40 PM
    To: news12@mail.tahc.state.tx.us

Good afternoon,
    The brief notice below has some helpful tips and links for more information on the swine flu situation.
    Please feel free to share this. Carla Everett, Texas Animal Health Commission

Information About Swine Flu

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security:
    People cannot get swine influenza from eating pork or pork products. Most influenza viruses, including the swine flu virus, are not spread by food.
    Eating properly handled and cooked pork products is safe.
    No food safety issues have been identified, related to the flu.
    Preliminary investigations have determined that none of the people infected with the flu had contact with hogs.
    The virus is spreading by human-to-human transmission.

The CDC recommends the following measures to prevent the transmission of flu:
    Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
    Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
    Wash your hands frequently and use alcohol-based sanitizers.
    Try not touch surfaces that may be contaminated with the flu virus.
    Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
    Try to stay in good general health.
    Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

Detailed information and updates on the flu outbreak may be obtained at:
    Texas Department of State Health Services http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/ (then click on “Swine Flu”)
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

If you own swine, consider the following practices to enhance the biosecurity on your farm to prevent the disease from being transmitted to your herd:
    Workers should shower and change into farm-specific clothes and shoes before entering swine facilities.
    Establish, implement and enforce strict sick leave policies for workers presenting influenza-like symptoms.
    Recommend that workers with symptoms be seen by a medical provider immediately.
    Restrict the entry of people into your facility to only workers and essential service personnel.
    Prevent international visitors from entering your facilities.
    Ensure adequate ventilation in facilities to minimize re-circulation of air inside animal housing facilities.
    Vaccinate pigs against the influenza virus. Vaccination of pigs can reduce the levels of virus shed by infected animals
    Contact your swine veterinarian if swine exhibit flu-like or respiratory illness, especially if the onset or presentation of the illness is unusual.
    Notify your Texas Animal Health Commission area office or the Austin headquarters at 800-550-8242, after you have contacted your veterinarian.

The Texas Animal Health Commission is ready to assist with on-farm investigations, if pigs are present where a known human case has occurred,
    and to assist with epidemiological investigations with any human cases that may have links to swine in Texas.

More information for producers may be obtained at:
    National Pork Producers Council http://www.nppc.org/
    Texas Pork Producers Association http://www.texaspork.org/

2. If I has a shot back in the '77 am I safe? My kids are really worried about this. Thanks for posting this info Vicki.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Gosh I know nothing :) Vicki

4. favablue

favablue New Member

Thanks for the info!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It seems that those with good immune systems are either not getting it or it is light and not causing all the problems and deaths like in Mexico.

6. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

It's here in Texas tho and that's scary ! :/
    THANK'S Vicki , we need to be informed !

7. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Thank you for the info. We were alerted at fair. four times a day over the load speaker so the woed would get around. Tammy

8. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Was it a swine flu back in the 70's when they muffed the vaccine & paralyzed a lot of folks with the syndrome whose name I can't remember? Had a friend who was paralyzed for several months. At almost 60, I've never had a flue shot, ain't never gonna. I rebuke illness.

Tom

9. favablue

favablue New Member

Yep, I have herd it was the same one. People were paralyzed because many of the vaccinations were contaminated.

10. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I read this morning (can't remember if it was the link from MSN News or Yahoo News) that they don't anticipate the 1976 vaccine for the same swine flu to still be effective, but CDC officials are uncertain and as a precautionary measure encouraging folks to assume that it is not.

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I quit getting them years ago after I realized THEY were making me ill! Everyone where I work has been sick (not with the swine flu) and I just refuse to get sick. I rebuke illness too!! dance:

... and drink lots of Goat Milk!!

12. dragonlair

dragonlair New Member

Flu shots are only good for a year is what I was told, thats why they suggest you get them yearly. They also guess each year which flu virus is going to be "popular" that year and make the vaccine for the specific flu bug. I'm sure they must be working on a new vaccine for this swine flu. I work Security at a hospital and they are getting all sorts of stuff in preparation of a pandemic. It's kept under lock and key and we will be getting specialized training in case of a pandemic. Its madatory that we get a flu vaccine if we work here, but its for the flu de jour each fall.

I managed to make it thru the flu season this past year without catching it, even though the vaccine they used was not the one that was hitting everyone! Its pretty rough being on a floor surrounded with sick people and hope you don't get it! Right now there is something going around that i smaking people very sick with flu like symptoms. I am sitting 1 on 1 with a non-sick person, on a floor where most everyone is coughing from the tips of their toes!

I believe in taking echanacea to prevent colds and flus from getting me. I hate having to get the shots, but since it was my first year here, i went along wihtout a fight. Next year I will fight it, since I had a reaction to the vaccine.

13. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I also am also 60 and never had a vaccine at all.... they offered them where I used to work but it was not mandatory.. so I did not take them... The vaccines scare me alot worse than the flu and i stay at home when this stuff hits and avoid people if I can.. Of course being on a farm I do wash my hands constantly too. I think this helps more than most people realize..
    I am drinking my milk every day
    Barbara

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

News flash...........one death just reported in TX this morning. I think it was a young child from what they just said on the news a minute ago.

Whim :down

15. TroyG

TroyG Guest

23 month old. Very sad!

16. Ashley

Ashley New Member

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yes and he had been to Mexico
    I had to take the flu shots when working for American Airlines but never again and I don't get sick except from SHOTS of any sort.

18. Ashley

Ashley New Member

I consistently hear that those that get the flu shot get sick. I haven't had it in many years.

19. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

Flu virus mutates readily, so it's a different strain(s) every year. The vaccine makers have to decide which strain is likely to be THE big one very early, in order to have a vaccine tested & ready in time to head off a major outbreak. Since the usual flu season is nearly over, they don't have one for this new swine flu. It's an "OOPS!" situation.

Tom