Switching to Lambar feeder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 4fromgoatilia, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Okay I went and made a Lambar feeder (Thanks Vicki!) cause I'm tired of all those baby bottles. I know it will take them a little while to adjust to the confusion so here is my question. How long do I wait on stubborn brat bottlefed babies to take to the lambar. Roslyn has already discovered how to use it. Sophie on the other hand just sniffed it. I fed them at 1:00pm PST. Next feeding is scheduled at 5:00pm. Should I continue on til the next feeding after that if she doesn't take to it? Tammy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

When they first start off they are too small to reach the lambar in the feeder that holds it, so I take a double end snap and snap it to the wall. I then can come up behind stupid ones and put them on the lambar. With the milk as high as the nipples only takes one smash of the nipple and it's warm milk in the mouth...they get it quickly. You will always have one each year who seems to always need help to find nipples...idiots. Vicki

3. I'm taking another route with the whelps, using pop bottle and they took to the nipple on that. I'll do that agian then switch to the feeder. Hopefully thats all the more I'll need to do bottles. Tammy

4. I used the lambar last year when I had my three nubian kids. I put the bucket there and they latched on very quickly. I suppose this year, I'll have a stubborn one. Lol

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I just trained a 3 day old to take the lambar. Quite unintentional, but HEY, it worked!
    I got tied up today away from the farm...doing some exchange work...and missed the 2pm feeding. Got home about 5pm, took the lambar out and the 3 day old was sooo hungry she didn't wait on the bottle in my other hand, she latched onto the lambar. I popped the nipple off her bottle and poured the milk in the lambar. She WON'T be getting another bottle around here. :biggrin
    Kaye

6. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I wouldn't wait for them to find it and know what it is on their own. We hold their heads in place for the first two meals on the lambar. After that, they know - but you still have to put some of them in front of the nipple for a couple more days if they are slow learners.

7. Between the texture and size of the nipple is why they are having problems. They are used to baby bottle nipples. This morning they did alot better-probably because they were really hungry. So I'll try the feeder later today. Let you all know later. Tammy

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin That is why we encourage the use of lambar nipples from birth. It's easier to transition them to the lambar than to have to change from different nipples then to the lambar. Any kid is big enough at birth to take a lambar nipple. (Well, maybe not a tiny ND, but most that I've seen were on the lambar nipples.)
    Kaye

9. Yes, I now realize this :duh I have no excuse for not doing it the right and might I add cheaper route. That is why I am now doing this :bang. Good news though, they are both taking to the nipple now :whew. So I should be able to get them nipples in the bucket soon. What a feeling to have your hands free! Tammy