Swelling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Can someone please give me some more ideas? My doeling "Kate" started showing signs of a limp last night, no swelling so I just checked the hoof for any sign of pain or rot. Nothing, tonight she has alot of swelling over the left thurl. It is not hard, but hot & firm to the touch. I give her a 4X dose of pain meds, and rubbed the area. I also took her leg and got her joints moving so it won't get hard... Any more ideas? It was caused by another doe for sure. (No way it is CL)

:help

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Name please?

Over the thurl would be a bruise as there's not much meat there. Mostly skin covering bone. Banamine would help the pain and also help to relieve the swelling.
    Kaye

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

Childrens Aspren. 4 times the normal dose per Fias Co Farm website. Can you just go get Banamine from yor vet or does he need to see her? It has a puffy feeling to it, I will snap some pictures when I got put the coat back on the other doeling.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I can walk in and get it...but, it might be different with your vet. It is an Rx item in the states.
    Kaye

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

I will give them a call in the morning when they open. I am sure I can find something we have 3 different vets to use. Any other drugs like this in case they don't have it?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You do know that ALOT of fiascofarm.com is wrong, most is buzy work, what I call fluff :)

Aspirin it would take 13.5 of the 325 grain aspirins per 100 pounds given every 4 hours to touch pain or inflammation...and if you did that for very long you would destroy her rumen. Just so you can see how giving her even the whole bottle of childrens aspirin would likely do nothing for her pain.

The thurl is up on her rump, so is she limping like her rear end is hurt or her foot? There isn't alot you can do for sprains and bruises but let it run it's course. If someone is picking on her and hurting her, one of my older does mounts does to get them away from HER hay or HER feed, she would be dangerous to a much smaller doe. Vicki

7. KingsCoGoatGuy

I don't normally use their health care info, but it was the first site that came to mind when I seen the size of this.
    It is on the thurl for sure. Atleast I think it is.... I need to go check my chart, I can name every single part on that chart during showmanship season but lose it when I don't check it once a week. (Yes she carries the leg like she hurt her foot) I took these pictures before I let my magic fingers work at it, the swelling has gone down maybe 1/4 but it did the same thing from 4 hours ago. (I am not rubbing hard, just a simple get the blood flowing rub. Sorry I would do the same someone washing your hair would do. :) ) I got the camera hooked up and they aren't fighting when I watch. She is the top doeling in the herd and doesn't get pushed around much, it has been ages since I see any fights with her in it. Most of the... umm... "B" or mean does are due in 40 days and all to heavy to fight. It is just a gunting fight as to who can make more noise when getting up to eat Silage time comes. :) If I had seen any signs of picking on they would be removed ASAP. Last years doeling died from a reaction... But I know her getting beat on by every doe but her mother every time I stepped in the barn had something to do with it. NEVER AGAIN! (One of the does is the only living doe to my first purebred Nubian, she wasn't the best but threw some awesome kids.)

Here are some pictures, (You will say the leg is popped out of joint from the pictures, but that is all swelling.)
    http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/HazyDayNubians/Christmas2008andothers084.jpg
    http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/HazyDayNubians/Christmas2008andothers085.jpg

I would have got more, but alast the batteries are dead yet again. Someone who invents a camera that doesn't use them will make millions!

8. KingsCoGoatGuy

I must note she is due towards the end of April... So please no drugs who will hurt the kids. :)