Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my bucklings (7 wks old) have soft swellings where the jaw and neck meet. About fist size on one, and about 1/2 that on the other. They are drinking from a lambar with 5 doelings the same age...none of the doelings have it. I have had it on bottle babies before and it goes away after several months, but just wondering if anyone can tell me what causes it? Could it be from the way they drink? Or something else entirely?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like a milk goiter to me..

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I just looked that up online...never heard of it before. From the Fias Co farm website...that's exactly what it is. Strange....but apparently not anything to worry about?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Must be....if I think back to the last few years....those were all buck kids too. These guys have bigger ones though...especially the one is kind of unsightly.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
:biggrin I showed a Feb. doeling last year, after weaning, with one the size of a lemon. Yes, several judges made comment of how large and they were RIGHT on that she must have been a milk hog. Even Joan Dean Rowe DVM made her Jr. GCH and told me not to sweat it. When she freshened it would go away. Yep, about 1/2 way through her preg. no milk goiter.
Kaye

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whew! I have a 3 week old doeling who has swelling, same location. I took her temp, normal. Freaked all out, a little. And yep, she's a piggy and the heaviest of all my seven kids who are all same age! I've really only ever noticed it in my older kids (nearer to weaning) never in a 3 week old. I can breathe a sigh of relief now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts