Swelling on bucklings' necks

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Two of my bucklings (7 wks old) have soft swellings where the jaw and neck meet. About fist size on one, and about 1/2 that on the other. They are drinking from a lambar with 5 doelings the same age...none of the doelings have it. I have had it on bottle babies before and it goes away after several months, but just wondering if anyone can tell me what causes it? Could it be from the way they drink? Or something else entirely?

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Sounds like a milk goiter to me..

3. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

That's the first thing I thought of.

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Thanks! I just looked that up online...never heard of it before. From the Fias Co farm website...that's exactly what it is. Strange....but apparently not anything to worry about?

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Nope. After you wean them, most go away. Even doelings get these.
    Kaye

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

My dam raised doe that I kept from last year had one. She liked her Mama's milk. It went away. No problems.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

they eat more than the doelings probably

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Must be....if I think back to the last few years....those were all buck kids too. These guys have bigger ones though...especially the one is kind of unsightly.

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin I showed a Feb. doeling last year, after weaning, with one the size of a lemon. Yes, several judges made comment of how large and they were RIGHT on that she must have been a milk hog. Even Joan Dean Rowe DVM made her Jr. GCH and told me not to sweat it. When she freshened it would go away. Yep, about 1/2 way through her preg. no milk goiter.
    Kaye

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Whew! I have a 3 week old doeling who has swelling, same location. I took her temp, normal. Freaked all out, a little. And yep, she's a piggy and the heaviest of all my seven kids who are all same age! I've really only ever noticed it in my older kids (nearer to weaning) never in a 3 week old. I can breathe a sigh of relief now!

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Thanks for the link, neat info.