Sweet urine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Jan 6, 2009.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

OK, there's a nagging in the back of my head that tells me I should know what this tells me. Maybe ketosis?? My Saanen doe is my problem child. :crazy Coming up on 100 days bred, a sting of fresh blood from the vagina a week ago, nothing more. Very greedy for grain, but she always has been and picks up fat padding easily. She is in good condition, but not fat now. She's the one that freshened with gram negative staph mastitis last spring. I think we have that under control- fingers crossed.
    This morning her urine was normal in color, light yellow/clear but smelled sweet. Sickly sweet. I've watched her all day and can't pick up anything else abnormal. It's raining so they are just hanging out in the barn. Munching hay. Lots of clean water, free choice alfalfa. About 1/2 lb grain mix 2x a day for her. Due for Ivermectin+ in a week.

Is there a problem?

2. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

What I just looked up said that either sugar or ketones in urine can cause a sweet smell. Do you have strips to check her for ketosis?

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

That would be a huge amount of grain for a dry doe here who is only 100 days pregnant. And...I also don't have Saanens :)

Does who are fat, can start burning fat (which is a good thing) which then produces ketones in her urine....like we do when eating low carbs. It's just as dangerous for a fat goat to kid with lots of kids or lots of milk as it is us, but instead of calling it pregnancy toxemia in goats they call it ketosis.

Just for comparison, a doe who is coming up on 100 days pregnant here is getting no grain, then at 100 days bred I start her on a handful...a single handful morning and night. Building up to what you are feeding by the handful changes each week until she freshens. My girls would be as round as they are tall with that much grain. Vicki

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I'm not familiar with how old this doe is? but since she's at least a second freshner? Mine would just be getting a handful of grain at 100 days bred. and 1/2 a lb morning and night by their due date week. 145 days bred. I'm talking adult saanens over a year old here. If I fed my saanens that much grain that soon, at the least I would have 18 lb kids! especially out of that crazy old doe of mine who routinuely throws single buck kids of 15 lbs +

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

3 year old/2nd freshener. She's not fat now. No more padding over her back and hips. I wouldn't want her to go into lactation any thinner since I expect her to be a heavy producer. Her udder is flat as a grocery bag now that she is dry. No fat there either...
    It was a wierd lactation for her since she was basically dry in one half and only about 6 lbs milk per day. (1st freshening, 1st year with me) She wasn't getting much grain all this summer (3/4 lb) and still had a little padding. She is just dried off completely at Christmas and as she progresses in the pregnancy that "fat" has melted away which is why she's up to a lb a day of grain/BOSS mix.... Still sound like to much grain??? I will think about cutting her back...

Watching her this morning she just seems lethargic. Nothing I can put my finger on- maybe it is just the weather. She may have had sweet urine before, just not in the barn where I could easily pick up the smell.

I thought ketones were bad in both pregnant humans and goats.
    So when is ketosis dangerous? What are the danger symptoms?

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

they sell urine strips about $5 a jar I think, in fact I think I'm out I gave the rest of mine away last year when I was done kidding. you can just go buy them from a local pharmacy.
    you really need to KNOW your own animals, because we can't see her and feel her, but it sounds like too much grain right now. Mine were dried off right before xmas they went from 2 lbs a grain a day milking to 1lb once a day milking and then cold turkey no milking no grain. then at 100 days bred I started them on a handful of grain a doe. Read what Camille wrote on my post about (a doe to watch) about her Boer does.

7. NubianSoaps.com

She's not fat now. No more padding over her back and hips.

Although she can show less fleshing when milking well etc...they still have internal leaf fat, and can have fatty livers also.

It actually worries me more that she is thinner now that she is dry than when she was milking even 6 pounds. Have you had a fecal ran? This time of year condition eating cool weather worms are your enemy. Vicki

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I'm starting to suspect the quality of fecal analysis I'm getting. *sigh* I'm suspicious too. Worms would fit the off feeling I have when I watch her.
    Put a microscope on my list of things to buy. :)
    But... I was told nothing showed in the last fecal. I am going to go ahead now with the ivermectin+ since the last sets of fecals shortly after breeding showed some fluke... What then? a dose of Cydectin 10 days later?

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

What I meant to say and forgot to add to the last post...If I give ivomec+ now at 91 days bred... Would you follow up with cydectin in 10 days or wait for my regular post- kidding deworming schedule?
    She had Cydectin 3x prebreeding...

10. NubianSoaps.com

Ivermectin plus at Kaye's dosage given every 10 days for 3 times...which might be something you could do since Ivermectin still works on strongieds/cool weather worms in your area. Vicki