Sweet Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

My doe just kidded last Friday. It's Wednesday now. How long do you find that it normally takes before a does milk tastes sweet? It still tastes a bit colostrummy to me. Just wondering.
    Anita M

2. Truly

Truly New Member

Depends on the doe. Not much help, huh?

I don't usually even try until at least a week fresh.

3. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Took my one doe (the only one we had milking at the time too) a whole 3 weeks.....Everyday the same thing: "now??" <drink> "YUCK!" I thought she was never gonna give us good milk!

4. Anita Martin

Well, that makes me feel better! She is our only milking doe and we were so excited to finally be able to have fresh milk. We bought her because, although she has small teats, her former owner told us her milk was wonderful! Well, it's getting better.....but it aint there yet!
    Thanks.
    Anita

5. We pool the milk as soon as it foams, so 2-3 days out. Some of tshi milk is strained for drinking, the rest pastuerized. So we drink it 2-3 days out and have never noticed any off taste.
    Becky

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Same here Becky

7. goatsareus

goatsareus New Member

I guess it depends on the does. I am drinking the milk, also, around 2 or 3 days from freshening.

Beth Zaring
    Wellston, Ohio

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Same here. Once it's milk it's drank, soaped and sold, oh and fed to kids.

Diet? Wormed after kidding? Did you taste this sweet milk before you purchased her? Alas alot of goat folks are really good used car salesmen for their second job :) Vicki

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Can't believe my ears.......bad tasting goat milk ? Never heard of such a thing ;)

Whim

10. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Unless it's been sitting in the refrigerator for a month... :)

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ain't no way milk will set in my fridge for a month.....we's hungry folks down here. Just caught my youngin chewing on a door knob. Chickens just tried to chase down an airplane...musta thought it was a big june bug.
    ....and on top of that, I broke my old wine glass, so I'm drinking it from an old coffee can now. Sure is a big ole can.

Whim

12. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Whim, you are so funny, thanks for the smile today
    How are those nigerian kiddings coming along, any more kidded yet?
    Barbara

13. Anita Martin

Oh, such a diversity of answers :sigh Used goat salesmen? Hungry chickens chasing down airplanes. Children eating doorknobs? Well, my dogs DO seem very happy right now with the addition of milk instead of plain ole water to their chokey kibble. We just had our favorite doe, Mikey kid last night with absolutely BEAUTIFUL daughters..TWO OF EM! So we'll be able to compare milks here really soon. This kidding went much smoother than the last (and my first) one. Everyone is doing fine except me. I have to go to work today, and didn't get an ounce of sleep the last two nights... :sigh Luckily I have goat babysitters. Well, only one more to go.
    Anita

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin Congrats on the new babies. and yes , you got my point......feed that milk that is getting old to something. Chickens usually will eat it in any form. Lots of these gal's keep a pig around to feed it to.....and am thinking of getting one myself. As far as taste....I am feeding about twice as much alfalfa this year as I was last year.....so I am curious to see if it changes my milk taste any at all. Other than some being a little richer tasting than others, I can't tell one ND milk from the other here. Must be the butter fat varying a bit I guess.

Hi Barb......next doe due about next tuesday. Old Paige is back to 100%, and babies look much better than the ones last year. That Ceasars Villa buck appears to have made big improvements for me. Keeper's and seller's will be tough on me this time. :crazy....I need more room.

Whim

15. coso

coso Guest

Whim don't you even have a fruit jar to drink your wine out of?? :biggrin Doesn't last around here either cat gets' some dog gets some chickens get some. We have been making cheese. When I was milking 7 last year I thought my Pyr was going to blow up she was drinking so much milk. :lol I need a couple of milk customers.

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""Whim don't you even have a fruit jar to drink your wine out of?? """"

:rofl ...Lord knows you don't want to get me talkin about drinking wine or any other cooked up homemade beverages from a fruit jar........Sara will have this thread put in off topic, and I'll be put on probation again.
    All I drink from a jar is goat milk........that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Whim

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

YEH like we believe that! With all those watermelons you put up last summer :rofl

18. Anita Martin

Well..........the milk STILL tastes funny this evening. Checked our FF this morning. She is four days fresh. Her milk is WONDERFUL...too bad she doesn't have much of it yet.

19. Anita Martin

Delilah STILL has bad tasting milk. When our second doe, Mikey freshened, I checked both milks and they tasted the same, however after 3-4 days, I checked again, and Mikey's milk was just as nice and sweet as can be. Delilah, however is still giving milk that tastes the same as it did on the first day. She's been wormed, on alfalfa pellets, timothy hay, oats, minerals, kelp, etc. No weeds here yet. A little grass coming in. What would make the does' milk taste bad? It's just like colostrum, so I guess she's still making colostrum? She's giving quite a bit of milk, she's got two big bucks on her and she's also milking a couple of quarts for me...out of just one side. Those boys of hers refuse to drink out of both sides. :(
    We're pasturizing her milk for our girls...and they haven't complained about the taste. A friend would like some goats milk, but if I gave him HER milk, he would swear from that day forward that all goats milk is gross.. :sigh Mikey is having an infection of some type, and is on antibiotics, plus she has some blood flecks in her milk, which might be due to my milking method, (I am new at it) although she didn't complain when I milked her this morning. :? We'd LOVE to be able to use her milk. Is it still safe for the babies? She's on pen. g and had a shot of banamine this morning.

20. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Anita,
    Some goats just give off flavored milk. However, you need to do a couple of things to make sure everything is alright. I would take a sample of milk and have it tested for mastitis - just to make sure the udder is healthy.

What kind of infection is Mikey having? In the udder? What antibiotic are you giving? As for the blood flecks, you can cause them from milking too rough or too high on the udder. Make sure that you milk the teat - not the udder when you milk. Milk as gentle as possible.