Sweet Feed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hamilton40, Aug 2, 2008.

1. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I know that no one on here likes feed with molasses in it. This is what i have been feeding my milkers for a long time. I keep reading all of your post and it makes me think maybe I should change my feed and try to get away from the molasses feed but my goats really love it and they are in good shape with great looking shinny coats. Their milk is as sweet as it could be, They have had very healthy kids with no problems with the dames or the kids. I just hate to change something that has been working (if it is not broke don't fix it).

Please take a look at the analysis and the ingredients and see what you think

Super Goat

16% TX (CG)

Guaranteed Analysis

crude protein............................min. 16.0 %

crude fat.................................min. 2.5 %

crude fiber...............................max. 6.0 %

calcium...................min. 0.80 % max. 1.3 %

phosphorus...............................min. 0.5 %

salt..........................min. 0.5 % max. 1.0 %

sodium.....................min. 0.10 % max. 0.5 %

copper......................................max. 35.0 PPM

selenium..................min. 0.3 PPM max. 0.5 PPM

vitamin A...................................min. 13,000 IU/LB

Ingredients

cracked corn, dehulled soybean meal, steam flaked barley, whole oats wheat middlings, cane molasses,

sun cured alfalfa meal, maize distillers dried grains with solubles, calcium carbonates, salt, dicalcium phosphate,

monocalolum phosphate, proplonic acid (a preservative), vitamin e supplement, sodium salanite, zink oxide,

manganous oxide, farrous sulfate, vitamin d3 supplement, vitamin a supplement, zink sulfate, choline chioride,

cobalt cardonate, mineral oil, ethylenediamine dihydriodide, copper oxide, niacin supplement, copper sulphate,

cobalt sulfate, magnesium oxide, vitamin b12 supplement, calcium pantothanate, riboflavin supplement, thiamine,

pyridoxine hydrochioride

Clay

2. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Clay,
    We feed a sweet feed here also, and if you are managing well, I would not change a thing. Every persons situation is unique and there are no one size fits all feeds for all goats. So I would keep doing what you are doing. We just had a 3rd place 3 year old with second udder at Nationals milking 1258# in 118 days on DHI so it works for us and we are not going to change a thing. :biggrin
    Tim

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It' a wonderful feed tag. There is no such thing here, a menued feed tag like you have for goats. And if you could find one for goats you could purchase it in a dry all grain mix for horses about $4 per 50# cheaper :) All goat products around us are byproduct feed tags. Vicki

4. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Thanks Tim,
    Its been working great for me I just thought I would through it out there and see how a few other people felt about.

Hi Vicki,
    It is put out by Eagle milling their general office is in Minneapolis, Mn. I will check and see if I can get it in a dry grain mix. $4 a bag cheaper would help I am paying around $17 per 50#. I might cut their molasses for that.
    Thanks
    Clay

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Clay it's mostly about going off the goat label, which is considered a minor species :) Be it horses, or cattle in your area, with major species labels you sometimes get better quality minerals and additives in your grain mixes, but better quality grain products. That's why I use horse quality products here. vicki

6. Corky

Corky New Member

I have been feeding a mix that would make Vickis blood curdle. :rofl

I had a doe that was off grain and was given a couple of sugestions that did not work so left me with grain that I needed to use up.

I had a 50 lb bag of Equine Senior
    A fifty lb bag of beet pulp
    and a hundred pounds of sweet crimped oats that Milt bought by mistake, to use up.

I usually feed two parts plain whole oats to one part barley and one scoop of calf manna to a three gal bucket of above mixture but to use up the crap stuff I was adding one scoop of each of those to each bucket of feed.
    Thankfully all the junk feed is gone!!!! Yay!!!

My girls are taking more time getting done now that they are not getting all that sugar and stuff but they will be better for it.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

I forgot to add that the stuff ran out one at a time so they have been taken off it slowly. Not suddenly.