sweet feed questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sunny Daze, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Ok, so I have been feeding my girls a mixture of oats, BOSS, and alfalfa pellets. With the cost of everything going up, i have been heading to the local feed mills to see if i can save a bit of money. The last time i picked up the oats and alfalfa pellets from the feed mill, it did save me a few dollars but they were horribly dusty and not up to par...Another feed mill nearby has a premixed goat feed. It has all the good stuff in it (alfalfa,corn,soybeans,barley, oats) but they mix it with molasses. It would save me quite a bit of money....I know alot of molasses isn't very good to feed, but I don't think this stuff is dripping in it as some feeds are. I am also concerned if it will make their milk taste off? Just trying to figure out the best way without sacrificing health or milk! :help2

2. Dawn

Dawn New Member

I feed my girls a 14% sweet feed and 14% Creep feed mix and my does milk is GREAT! I've always heard that molasses will make the milk sweeter..?? I don't know??? :shrug2
    Just my two cents worth... :biggrin

Emily

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Molasses does not make the milk sweeter. I hate the taste that comes thru.

Molasses can upset the rumen .

Molasses can also cover up the dust .

Try the new mills straight grains and see how they are . Or ask to see them. You will get some dust in oats unless they are cleaned oats .

Patty

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope I never use a sweet feed I mix my own and is cheaper that buying pre mixed
    whole oats/barley/BOSS/ beet pulp /cracked corn
    Now that being said have gone right now to just whole oats and sunflower oil because of costs.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl Well...two of my milkers have been on a hunger strike for a couple of days. Couldn't find one blasted thing wrong with them and all the other goats were eating the same feed. Bad feed= everyone on hunger strike!!
    Anyway, I guess they were wanting some "candy" to go with their pellets. I bought a bag of Gold Rush 14% horse feed. YUCK,YUCK,YUCK...that STUFF is almost liquid with molasses! But, I mixed one handfull (hand was smeared in molasses-yuck) into 3#'s of pellets. Hunger strike over....they ate every bite of their grain. :really

This morning...I put straight pellets in feed pans...they ate it all without the syrup feed.???
    I hate it when I have to play "shrink" to a bunch of goats! But, you do what you have to, to keep 'em milking!
    Kaye

6. haeema

haeema New Member

There is a local gentleman who hauls feed to big cattle dairys. He gave me a sample of the feed. My girls ate a little bit of it and then just looked at me like I was stupid. It has corn husks, corn, sorgum stalks. He swares by it. I don't know. I'll try it because it is $50 per ton. BUT I don't want my girls to quit milking. Any Ideas?

7. Rose

Rose New Member

Nope. Don't do molasses. It covers up cheap ingredients.

Don't do trash feed. (stalks, etc.)

8. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I was feeding my goats the local co-op's 16% coarse dairy goat ration, but the price has gone up so much that I've switched to the 14% beef developer. A lot of the local goat people have switched to this and it's almost half the cost per bag. $9.50 vs $5.40/50 lb bag. They seem to eat it just fine (except for my Boer buck, who doesn't like the pellets in it), but I'm not entirely happy with it. For one thing, it's got a lot more powdered feed in it and while that's not really much of a feeding problem as my girls seem to eat everything up, it makes me wonder what exactly is in it. And it's got cottonseed meal in it. And it's only 14% protein as opposed to the 16% protein. And while it's cheaper, I seem to be going through a lot more of it than the more expensive stuff. Maybe that's just me because it's less expensive, I'm feeding more...

And, oh yeah, it does have more molasses in it.

I am supplementing with some BOSS, but I'm just not happy with it. However, as my husband was suggesting, it appears that the co-op appears to be jacking the price of the specialty feeds up and keeping the price of the things like the cattle feeds down. And my milkers don't really do anything but provide the family with milk right now (since I can't sell their milk or make cheese) and I can't justify the higher costs. :(

-- Wendy

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Those types of high roughage feeds are great to use when you have to get a group of animals through the winter. You do have to balance your calcium though.

Molassas causes a whole nother group of problems in your herd. In small amounts molassas fine, but no sweet feed label has that molassas in small amounts. And don't let the non sticky bags fool you they use dried molassas.

Increasing the energy with sugars, increasing the iron when most of us don't need it since we get way to much iron already in our minerals, or water...and the acidosis that much molassas causes, just makes that cheap energy cost, cost prohibitive. Vicki

10. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

What percentage of molasses is considered too high?

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I don't know the percentage, but am careful my goats don't get too much. They like the sweet feed, but it is just a small part of my feed mix which also consists of dry COB, whole oats, lactation pellets and BOSS. I would never feed them just the sweet feed alone. Kathie

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sunny Daze; You are down here in the deep southeast with me, and this (IMO) would be a poor time to go to any feeds (exspecially wet down with molasses) that would mold easy in our upcoming heat and humidity.
    If I were to switch to something like sweet feeds now, I would only buy it freshly milled.....only enough to last me a couple weeks at a time.....and would store it in a wooden built box/bin that wouldn't promote sweating of any kind......keep it in as cool a place as I could find tooo. I think also that I would keep my feed troughs/pans washed out more often, as I wouldn't want that sugar building up and molding all over my pans.....
    Lots of bad drawbacks with feeding "wet" feeds down here where we live, not to mention the nutritional drawbacks that are already mentioned in this thread.
    About the only "wet" feeds that I want my goats to get is green grass tops and green browse. For the most part I want everything else to be very dry (year around). My goats get very fresh clean water, and plenty of it all the time.....if they want wet feed , they can go get 'em a drink of that.

Best I remember , you had a goat with listerosis a couple months back.....and so you already can see that it can be trouble down here year around. The only goat that we lost in the last 3 years was a big young Nubi buck to listerosis, and we 'til this day believe that it was because of some "wet" feeds that we were feeding at that time. He was being fed some cheaper (sweet) feeds at the time because he was not working, and was getting fat. Well, it cost us one of the best Nubi bucks that ever walked across this county.

Whim

13. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

Well you guys all said about what I expected! Guess I will stick with the straight grains. I will try them at this different mill, maybe they will be better?? I wish they could make the blend without the sweet feed but they can't/won't. You are right Patty, they probably only do that so it does cover up the dust! Do you all rinse your oats then? I was doing that but it is quite a pain...

Whim, I understand about the mold and us being hot and humid. I usually only get a weeks worth of grain at a time (i am fortunate to have 2 feed stores and 2 mills within 8 miles), and it is stored in our workshop which stays relatively cool. I (and the vet)am still not sure if that doe actaully had Listeriosis or not (he thinks it was maybe something viral), but you are right, definitely can up the risk.

Ah well, it was just a thought. Right now the feed store I go to (not the mill) charges $13.50 for a 50lb bag of whole oats and about $14 for a 50lb bag of alfalfa pellets. Walmart is the cheapest place to buy BOSS at almost $12 a 25lb bag. Coastal hay is 6.50 a bale, alfalfa or alfalfa blends are $14 and up small square bale...Horse feed is $14.50 a bag....Boy it is getting expensive to keep animals/livestock!!

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope I never rinse oats If feed is a little dusty I found using the sunflower seed oil over it keeps down the dust

15. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I never rinse. The dust seems to fall to the bottom of the pan along with the dust {cornmeal} from the cracked corn . I just empty it after every feeding to the chickens.

Patty

16. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I had thought about adding some oil, will try that...

17. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Just a note on BOSS: I got a 50lb bag at TSC for $18...

BTW, what is COB?

18. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

COB = Corn/Oats/Barley

We also add a little sweet feed to our whole grain mix - 3 girls went on "strike", so added a little more to their ration, and
    now they are eating all of their grain and milk production popped right back up again.

I guess we could "insist" that they eat it plain, but having a heavy milker crash is not my idea of fun... so they get catered to, at least a little bit!

19. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin This going on strike talk, is a strange thing to my ears......my goats must be kin to hogs.

Whim