Suspected abortion

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2Sticks, Dec 3, 2008.

1. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I went out to feed this morning and when I got to the barn where the girls are everyone was their usual self, chipper and ready to eat. I noticed that one of the does who was right up in the front looked ike she had a clear glob pf liquid drop from her vulva. She should have been 38 days bred today. I went right in to check her and her tail was covered in a thick clear fluid and her vulva looked more open that usual. There is no blood. I took her temp 101.1 and searched around the area she was in for any signs of abortion, although I can't imagine that I would find much with her only being a little over a month bred. I fed and she was the first one up to eat her Alfalfa pellets, no change in her personality, appetite or stool. If it wasn't for her tail looking like she had just been bred (impossible, as she was in the barn area and bucks are 4 pens and an alley way away from her) I would have never caught that there was a problem.

I'm taking it for granted that she slipped the pregnancy. Where do I go from here and what course of action should I take. Is there anyway to decide what would have caused this? What is the usual cause, this early in a pregnancy? Should she be held over dry (she would have been a second freshner)? If she can be rebred, when would it be safe for her? Of course this is one of my best does that it happened to. Should I have any concern for the other 3 does in with her?

Tamera

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would send in a blood sample and find out for sure if bred. Also If indeed she aborted would rebreed next heat.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Really early abortion like this is pretty common, most don't even see it and blame it on the buck shooting blanks. Since they don't have all the mental stuff that humans have with misscarriage, abortion doesn't effect goats. Being this early in the year she will come back into heat and be bred before 8 weeks. I would worm her this weekend just as if she had kidded, give her another bo-se shot and put her in with the buck, with as silent of a heat as she can have, you may miss it. Sorry this happened nothing to do.

Also watch the other does bred to this buck after this one, if they abort than you will want to start him and all of them on tetracycline. Vicki

4. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Tamera --

Any chance you're seeing an estrus cycle given that it's 38 days -- maybe two cycles -- since the breeding estrus?

When I've had a doe stay open and I don't want to bred (too late in the season), I'll just milk her through an extra year. Works here given our genetics we're selecting for.

Usually by Day 40 post-bred, my vet can pick up embryos via ultrasound. We actually ultrasounded a doe at Day 74 yesterday because I had concern about a possible miscarriage (found some fluids on her leg and tail that seemed amniotic) last week. We were looking for fetuses and fetal movement and found both.

Can you draw a blood sample for Biotracking? Question here is how long does it take to see a reduction in pregancy-specific protein B after an abortion -- you'd want to wait at least that long before taking a sample. Anyone know the answer to that?

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Just an update,
    I've been checking her as well as everybody else at intervals all day long. She has never had any blood, no more discharge since the initial amount this AM. Good appetite, perky and her usual pesky self. Everything seems absolutely normal and I'd think I was mistaken except the hair on the side of her tail shows evidence of the clear sticky discharge. I'll post in the AM if there's any change. Vicki, Sondra, Tricia thank you so much for your replys. I will be taking her for an ultrasound in a few days, after she would be 40 days.

I appreciate everyones input.

Tamera

6. NubianSoaps.com

Tamera, perhaps go to biotracking.com and ask them how long it would take a for a drop in the protein they test for after an abortion. That way it would just be the test from them. Vicki

7. togg75

togg75 Guest

I'd be interested in the hormone drop after abort also.  I had a doe do the same thing to me just two days ago.  Today is day two and she is still really slick in the genital area.  I assumed she aborted yesterday and will be taking her back to settle again.  Her temp never spiked.  She is very healthy and comes from a very reputable breeder here so I doubt she is sick ( if so, she got it from the stress of the move or on my farm not at her old home).

As long as the excretions from the vulva are clear and not dark or smelly your goats are fine.  I will put this girl on tetramine feed and give a BoSe shot though for her next breeding to ensure the health of the doe in her next maternity cycle.

Oh well looks like I will have Milk all year long in 2009...... :milk

8. NubianSoaps.com

She is very healthy and comes from a very reputable breeder here so I doubt she is sick

We really have to get passed this notion. A goat with pinkeye, soremouth, lice, mites, nosebots, etc...aren't sick and you didn't buy them sick. Just like a doe who aborts from chlamydia, mycoplasma, toxo, is not purchased 'sick'. You can't tell by looking at goats what virus they carry, and what bacteria or virus will manifest itself into an abortion storm through your herrd. There is no such thing as purchasing a doe who is so clean and so healthy that you will never have to deal with any or all of the above. It's part of owning livestock. You agressively treat the herd, treat the first batch of kid and go on. It's not a mark against your herd or the herd you purchased from. Vicki

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

?? Wasn't from me...I only have 1-PUREBRED Saanen, the rest of the herd (AB & AT) is American. :lol
    Kaye

10. togg75

togg75 Guest

I got it from Vicki.....no but I assume that she is a reputable breeder also.

11. NubianSoaps.com

What did you get from me? A Togg? I am lost. Vicki

12. togg75

togg75 Guest

No, I am making a mess out of this thread.
    Vicki....all I was saying is that you would have been very concerned if you sold an animal to someone then later the animal aborted.
    I can tell from your post that the health of your herd and the herds that show with your animals are very important to you. And the health of goats should be to all of us. I was trying to say that the person I bought my goats from is like you and take the health of the herd very seriously. I would say she is one of the best goat people I know and maybe one of the many very concerned and best nationally. Sorry for the confusion.

Back on topic....my does temp is still holding 101.7 and still having some red to pinkish discharge. no smell with the discharge and she is eating and drinking.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Your doe should be fine I would rebred next cycle

14. NubianSoaps.com

Sorry just getting back to this from the weekend.

OK I get it now.

Yes I am sure the breeder would want to know. Vicki