surge machine problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I just fired up the ol' surge machine today... Seems to be running fine but I've got milk flooding around the teats in both inflations. Is this a pulsator problem? It's been rebuilt..and recently taken apart and cleaned up, but it is old and I suppose I'll have to upgrade sometime..just hoped to be able to use it a bit longer. Also I've got the vacuum set at 11# is that right? and how do I set up the pulsator speed..I usually just go by ear but what is right? Do I look at my clock and check it or what?

I am still soooo clueless!! :help

2. Are you milking with a surge lid and using the inflations on that? Or have hoses that are running to the inflations?

To change the pulsation you would have a HARD time looking at the clock and counting. The spring in the Surge pails is what determines the speed. If its an old spring then get a rebuilt kit(about 15 bucks) change all the spring and leathers. Your leathers just might need to be oiled.

Ken in MO

3. Halo-M Nubians

Yes, it is a surge lid. I bought the conversion kit for milking two goats from hamby...just using one for now, so hoses run to the goat. So the milk backing up means the pulsator isn't working correctly? I wasn't sure if it was that or something to do with the vacuum.

4. No...you have a vaccum problem then. The way surge buckets are set up...the milk suppose to leave the teat and go straight into the bucket. That is one reason they was great milkers if the animal was not milking that much. Now, with hoses on top of the bucket...you have to have more vaccum to get to the milk to the bucket. One thing you might try is to set the vaccum level up just a little. If that does not help it then you need a air intake up on the inflations. That can be done by just burning a little hole in the inflation below the shell.

Ken in MO

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just stick a needle off a syringe in the hose in front of the inflation
    OK on mine I have some shut off valves with a short piece of hose then the inflations I put needles in those short pieces

6. Halo-M Nubians

Okay, thanks! I'll give it a try

7. Halo-M Nubians

Okay, so I stuck some 20g 1/2" needles in there and it worked like a charm. However, I'd like to be able to take them out...they aren't leaving a big enough hole and as soon as I pull them the milk backs up again. I'm thinking that something hot to melt the silicone would be good, but I"m worried about making it to big and ruining my brand new inflations. Any suggestions on a wire gage size or ?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

if you stick the needles in the hose and not the inflations you can take the needle back out and just stick them in the hole once in a while.

9. coso

coso Guest

Heat the needle with a cig lighter or something before you stick it in there, that should keep the hole open.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

They also carry stainless steel, little elbows with holes in them that fit. Honestly I fought with that for about 4 years, what you need is to upgrade next year to a new interpulse pulsator and claws. Eventually they will drive you insane, oil your leathers...too much oil and it doesn't work, rebuilt kit? OMG it has a million little pieces and this tiny 3inch by 3inch scamatic that you have to be japanesse to read, so you send it in for rebuilding, they don't send you yours back they send you another one that you have to learn to tweak all over again. You hold your breath when it's cold that it will even start, here even in our weather...which isn't cold :) Sorry Sondra...(since I sold it to her for a song) but I was never so glad to have that blasted thing gone! :) Vicki

11. Halo-M Nubians

lol! yeah, vicki, I was hoping to wait to upgrade until next year. We'll see how it goes. I have some claws that I love!

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey I love it Vicki it may be old but it works and sure saves my hands. :)