Supposed to have 3 Alberta clippers

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Carolyn, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

We are going to luck out, we were supposed to have 3 Alberta clippers this week, but looks like we will get only 2 and the second one isn't that bad. It is now 1 below and with wind chill 8 below. Not bad at all!! Monday nite was five below and with blowing wind and snow twenty five below. I was really stressed all nite long. The goats have straw and good hay and good protection, the milkers get grain, but it the temps changed so drastically. But everyone looks good. Just have to watch everyone, supposed to be up in the 20's by this weekend, and then by next Tuesday, up to 37. This first cold snap just makes me crazy every year :crazy. Carolyn :goat

2. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

Did you get any snow today? We got a little tonight. Not enough to stay - just enough to make it ugly! I thought they said yesterday that it was suppost to be 22. I think it topped out at 4! It was down right bitter this morning with the wind. I was dread this time of year. :/

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

OK, I will ask for us southern folks...whats and Alberta clipper? See I am up in the middle of the night, off tommorrow! Just knew I got into a good deal you posted late on some new cool goat clippers you got and had 2 others for sale and were keeping 1 for yourself :) Vicki

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Same here! A little bit of snow but mostly COLD temps!

Copied from wiki cause they explain things better than me!!

An Alberta clipper, also known as a Canadian Clipper, is a fast moving low pressure area which generally affects the central provinces of Canada and parts of the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes regions of the United States. Most clippers occur between December and February, but can also occur occasionally in the month of November. Alberta Clippers take their name from Alberta, Canada, the province from which they appear to descend, and from clipper ships of the 19th century, one of the fastest ships of that time.

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Well Vicki I thought the same thing. But back in 2000, my hubby and I team drove 18 wheeler across the U.S. we spent most of our winter driving though Wyoming, N. Dakota, Minnesota, Utah. I can tell you this it is colder than ***### up there. We got out of the truck at Wyoming port of entry to show our papers, the inside of the passenger window was freezing up, wind was blowing, about to knock us down. I made the mistake of asking the trooper inside, "just how cold is it out there" OMG, she told be it was 25 below. I think my hubby wanted to whack me for asking. He said he didn't need to know that, it just made him colder. I though boy, glad I'm not milking or tending to goats in this weather. brrrrrrr!

Sheryl

6. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Sometimes I'm wondering why the hell I have livestock way up here too! But then I see those cute little faces in the spring and you forget just how cold -20 really is!

:crazy2

7. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

It usually only lasts a day or 2. The first one really gets to me, I find out just what shape everyone is is. Everyone is good and round!!. bought another heated water bucket for the mini's. My son works in the oil fields, they never shut down. We got a little snow, not much to amount to anything, just enough to blow around a bit. I won't get my hay for another couple of weeks, but my brother got his and brought up a bale for us, we will return the bale when we get ours. Nice green grass hay for twenty six dollars a bale and delivered for the price of gas. Can't go wrong. We have been giving them cut up alfalfa cubes free feeding along with grass hay. Seems to work ok. Carolyn

8. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Oh an Alberta Clipper ususally brings bitter, bitter cold, with or without the wind. Carolyn

9. debmac

debmac New Member

just got home from work and it is 4 below. Checked the goats, they are all snuggled together in the straw. We just moved to ND from Maryland this summer. So far so good.

Deb
    Mini Nubians
    Near Anamoose, ND

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

It is sleeting here winds gusting to 40 .. I hate this ! Everything changing to snow shortly and a Lake Effect snow warning til Friday night . We can get a couple of inches or a couple of feet depending on were the bands sit.

Patty

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I left Nebraska just because of this cold weather your talking abt. Hate it with a passion and sometimes think it is too cold here in N. TX
    Patty please update your profile to show where you live. Thanks

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I love winter. :D I'd rather brave the cold than deal with 90 degrees and high humidity any day! However, I'll admit, the first really cold days of the year do catch me a bit off guard. It's below zero again this morning I suppose I should consider wearing more than just a hooded swearshirt when doing chores... I do wear my warm headband thing to cover my ears though. :D

Sara

13. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

We got more snow last night -- I'm not real happy considering I'm supposed to leave for the Denver area on Saturday. Of course, this is easy fluff stuff to drive in, so that's something. Anyone around Fort Lupton if we get stranded? :)

In the winter we PRAY for it to drop below zero so that the darn wind stops blowing! I can remember kidding out goats one year and looking at the thermometer ... -39F below zero.

The animals don't really seem to mind the cold too much. As long as they have hay and a water heater, they're pretty good to go. It's only the humans it hurts <g>

Tracy

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am in Northern New York . I have that listed in were it says location.

15. Katarina

Katarina New Member

Sounds like a blue norther to us Texas people. :D

Sometimes I think the same thing down here in S. TX. Esp after last winter! Brrrr way to cold! I wasn't raised in Tx to be used to that type of weather! :D

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

thanks Patty for some reason it wasn't showing up before

17. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Here in Montana, they're called Canadian cold fronts. As far as I'm concerned, the Canadians can keep them. We had a little bit of snow during the night and the temperature has been slowly falling. I've had the last few days off work to be with my DH after his hernia surgery. Since he is not to do any heavy work, I get to do all the chores by myself in this cold yucky weather. :/ It's supposed to go below zero at night for a night or two, them back to the teens at night. At least it's not as humid here as it was when I lived in the midwest, so it doesn't feel quite as cold. I got to be out in it today, cleaning and restrawing one of the goat houses and chopping wood. I'm not that nuts about the cold, but it beats the parasite problems you guys get in Texas. I guess there's good and bad no matter where you live.

18. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

It's so good to have fellow goat owners way up North!

19. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:nooo BRRrrr I'll stay in Texas with the heat , I hate winter ... just give me a nice cold glass of tea,a pair of shorts, colored crocks and a big T shirt and I will be happy !!

20. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Woo Hoo Bella Star, I agree with you. all of what you said. When it gets cold here, course what a lot of us southerners don't understand is up north it's a different kind of cold. It is a dry, cold. I remember that when hubby and I drove 18 wheeler. It was so different. Our snows here in Texas are more wet so the moisture makes it really cold and bone chilling. We don't have as much here as they do up there, but it feels different. I remember driving through Wyoming and Montanna, Idaho, and watching all the snow, and I mean snow! every where, deep, but it would blow across the highway just like sand in the desert. Very dry, and it would cover the roadway as it blew across till you almost couldnt' see the stripes. Our's here don't blow nowere, it sticks, wet slushy, messy! I'll take the shorts, crocks, iced tea...t-shirt with sleeves cut out. Big nice shade tree!! Wow, when in summer gonna get here :(

Sheryl