Summer travel

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Agape Oaks, May 13, 2008.

1. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

We're planning on going to the ADGA nationals this summer & I have concerns about traveling in the heat. I have a WW stock trailer. Last summer we went from TX to VA, but it was June so not quite as hot as July will be. I bedded the trailer good & thick & stopped every few hours to offer water (with gatorade in it). Is there anything I should do to keep my does comfortable ? I did order some dog crate fans figuring that may help some. Should we drive it at night?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam if your goats are outside today they will be fine as long as you have ventilation thru the trailer with it moving. When stopped is when I really worry.

3. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

We always used ice bottles for the bunnies on long hot trips to shows...I know goats area a little different, but maybe a few frozen 1 ga jugs for them to lean on if they get to hot (secured of course) during the day portion of the drive, course, only the first day before they melt !!LOL But then even cool water in them would feel nice...Maybe a silly suggestion!
    Patina

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

one thing I would do is put cat litter in the bottom of your trailer before the bedding this will keep down the urine smell and keep them dry.

5. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Last year it was when stopped in traffic that I worried. In July it'll be so hot.....so trying to decide if I should drive at night or if there's something I could do to keep them cooler & drive in the day time. Not sure how well the dog crate fans'll cool.....they should get here next week.