Summer Kiddings

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Goat Town, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

For the third time in my history with dairy goats I'm seeing a second kidding in one calendar year from the same set of does. This will mark the twelfth kidding season in ten calendar years in my present location. But this is the first time I've ever seen newborns in summer. I've worked hard to keep my does in good body condition throughout their short lactations and normal pregnancies. I think they're ready. I've taken my normal pre kidding preparations but I'm wondering about problems kids born at this time of year may face. Two things seem obvious: higher parasite loads, earlier and heat stress. Are there other things I need to plan for or expect?

2. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

Here are a couple of observations about the summer kidding season. Two does had kids with very low birth weights. One doeling developed floppy kid syndrome and passed two days after birth. The heat seems not to bother the kids very much, even with heat indices running 103F to 107F, but I succumbed to my instinct and kept feeding milk not only to hydrate, but also to try to build up the low birth weight kids. The littlest doeling couldn't handle that much milk and developed FKS. I also learned the importance of baking soda in bottles.

One doe who had triplets developed some post kidding complications. It seems she went off feed and quit ruminating and had little milk. I didn't feel she cleaned out and I feared she had a retained kid. I bought oxytocin from my vet, which brought about twelve hours of contractions during which she cleaned out the afterbirth. This was followed by a couple of days of antibiotics and she turned the corner onto the road of recovery.