Summer Garden Roundup

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Bella Star, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

How did your garden produce ?
    What produced best and what type did you plant ?
    Did you freeze or do canning ? What ?
    What was your worst problem ?
    What failed to produce this season ?

My garden produced a large amount of lush green, so much that I couldn't pick my Contender beans . My okra is now at least 7' tall and it's hard to pick as I cant keep up with it's production. Tomatoes are all heirloom, I think I will go back to Better Boy because most of the heirlooms had green tops, they split and spoiled soggy very soon and had hard large cores that when cut ,I lost a lot of meat but they are also about 7' tall and growing . Growth was my problem and I didn't fertilize anything, however my Yellow Squash was a poor producer and stunted growth. My best achievement this season was my Artichoke !

HOW ABOUT YOU ????? WHAT DID YOU GROW ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. LittleBits

LittleBits New Member

Pfh, well if I have to share with everyone....my cows got out and destroyed my garden...not very productive over here. :p

BUT last year I grew corn, tomatoes, watermelon, squash, carrots, grapes, cherry trees, apple trees, pomegranate trees, almond trees, artichokes, pecan trees, lettuce, cabbage, and lots of other stuff.
    Plus I have blackberries galore! I have made 5 pies this past 2 weeks from all the blackberries I have around.

I rake up the goat pens and shovel all the dirt and manure into a wheelbarrow and make raised beds or just rows of dirt. Then I plant everything in that. Rarely do I need fertilizer. If something isn't growing, I'll add "goat dirt" to it. Last time I added dirt to my cherry trees they put in 4 feet if growth in a month!
    Past 15 years, goat dirt has been my miracle grow. If something really needs a kick in the butt I will use SuperThriv after I add dirt.

3. LittleBits

LittleBits New Member

Oh, and yes I do can food :)

4. swgoats

swgoats New Member

We didn't do very well. We had so much rain weeds got out of hand really badly. I had carrots in the ground for months and they didn't really grow. Our beans never got beans on them, though they are still growing maybe eventually. Our corn got this bizarre fungus. Tomatoes did well. Potatoes didn't grow. Beets did really well. Got some onions. Herbs grew well. Our orchard produced well - apples, cherries, raspberries and blackberries. My husband canned beets;everything else has been going in the freezer.

5. Texasgirl

Texasgirl New Member

Doing a lot better this year. Last year 3 times the goats got into the garden and every time Bambi ran for the jalapeno plants and gobbled them down before we could stop her:mad: This year we have managed to keep everyone out. I am doing straw bale gardening as I have very rocky land. Love it and plan on adding on next year. I have had some successes and some failures but so far have made pickles and canned them twice. Have a jar of salsa canned. And am planning on canning some more. First year canning ever.

6. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

Beans, carrots, beets, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, corn, cabbage, they all did well. Had enough to freeze and share with friends and family then sell some at the farmers market. The strawberries did okay but petered out about July. The Peas were attacked by ducks so no peas. Squash I found really does much better in pots :) We had some really nice Alien spaceship squash, I do not remember to genius,,,but oh so nummy! Herbs are doing exceptional with the pond water draining on them and I have far more of them then I can dry so they too have been going to the farmers market.

My chickens are now doing their "thing" in the garden and I will hopefully have less bad bugs next year, although they did scratch up my bed with freshly planted rutabaga seeds...darn chickens! And could someone PLEASE tell them to put the dirt back the way they found it! Honestly though I am liking the chickens to help with the earwigs :)
    Tam

7. informative

informative New Member

Our potatoes did pretty well we grow most of those in buckets for fear of potato fungus contaminating the soil. Quite a few small ones but some bigger ones. All of our larger beefsteak type tomatoes did poorly this year - very few bees so I went around shaking the plants to try to self pollinate them. Getting tons of cherry and Roma style tomatoes now seems like more red ones are available every day.

Fig harvest is in progress same as tomatoes find more to harvest every day I check them. Blackberries were all picked months ago here in Texas. Seems like May-June time-frame they bloom early and if you don't grab them the birds will.

Pears were good this year too. Flavorful wound up eating and juicing a lot of them because I was too lazy to make them into pies or canning them

8. mammabooh

mammabooh New Member

Our garden did extremely well this year. This was the first year that I had zero corn smut. I only had two ears that had poor germination, and only two that had little worms...usually have way more losses than that!

Our green beans are still going strong. Carrots, onions, peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, beets...just everything is great. We've had pretty perfect weather for it.

I can, freeze, and dehydrate...mostly can and dehydrate so we're not reliant on electricity to keep things. We are trying to rely less land less on electricity.

This year, I grew Amish Paste and Brandywine tomatoes. I've been growing them exclusively for several years, but I'm going to just do Brandywines next year. There is nothing better for canning, in my opinion.

Our pear tree is absolutely loaded, but they won't be ready until late October. They never get soft, so I can them, and cook lots of them down and can pear sauce...it's my hubby's and my dad's favorite.

9. lovinglife

lovinglife New Member

brandywine for canning, hmmmm may have to look into that. I love to can sloppy joe sauce (aka chili sauce I believe) and regular canned for cooking. Are they early, late, heavy or light producer...
    thanks!

10. mammabooh

mammabooh New Member

They are ripe right now in zone 5b. I picked some today that were 1 1/2 pounds of meaty goodness.

11. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:D Glad that everyone pretty much had production !!! It has been hot and dry here and looks like a lot of areas so anything fresh that produced is good. I had little to no squash,and no beans so I am hoping that I grow beans for fall.