Sulmet

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jun 8, 2008.

1. I have Sulmet Drinking Water Solution (Sulfamethazine Sodium 12.5%)

What is the dosage for Sulmet? Can I put it in their milk (Each one would get their own bottle) to make sure they get their doses? And does the dosage treat a goat with cocci AND prevent it or do I need a larger dose for treating cocci?

2. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I believe the recommend dose for sulmet is 119 to 238 mg/kg per head/day.

It has been a while since I have done the math for this, but it worked out to 1cc per 1lb. So, you have a 30 lb kid, you give 30cc's of sulmet. This is why many people won't use it because of the high amounts that must be given. Just be careful that they don't aspirate it.

Hope this helps.

Leslie

3. Thankyou :) Can I mix it in the milk that I feed them?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have before many years ago when I used to use it.

5. Thanks Sondra. So if for example, if my goat was 10lbs, (Obviously they weigh more...) I would put 10cc of Sulmet in their bottle of milk with out adding any water to the sulmet?

6. Thanks Kaye

How many days do I give it?

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

5 days.

Once you use it up buy a stronger concentration of sulfa. Vicki

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

sorry they aren't making Demethox 40% right now. maybe start in July or so the rumor goes

9. Thanks :)

I decided to use the sulmet because a friend who owns nigis gave me a bottle of it. Figured I might as well not let it go to waste. After I use it I'll go with something else in the future.

Thanks again :)

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sul-Q-Nox 31.92%

For treatment of coccidia. 3cc per 100# body weight. Treat for 3 days. Drinking water mix: 1 oz. per 16 gallons water. Treat for 3 days. Do not overdose.

#3162 . . . . . 500 cc. $20.50 (Ship wt. 1 lb.)
    #1632 . . . . . Gal. $135.00(Ship wt. 12 lbs.)

This is from Pipestone Vet Supply pipevet.com it is sheep info....When I used a sulfa back in the day this is what I used. Sulfaquinoxiline. We did double the dose. 6cc per 100 pounds orally for 5 days. I am passed my quota for asking Kaye to Mg/Kg stuff for me :) Perhaps someone else could ask her? The mg/kg of this stuff should be in Goat Medicine for on goatkeeping 101 in the saanendoah section. Vicki

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Hhhhmmm...bad news on that Vicki. Sulfaquinoxaline *Note- poor absorption from digestive tract. it also says to follow it with Sulfathiazole or sulfadimethoxine.??? 1.1-2.2g/kg bw orally for 4 days. Remeber that 1 gram is 1,000mg. and that's for 2.2#'s of bodyweight.

Got a few hrs. off tomorrow...will look it up on pipestone and see if I can figure the doses. But, it looks like it's suggested to follow it with another sulfa.??
    Kaye

P.S. If it's free then by all means use it!! May take quite a bit more per kid...but it didn't cost you anything. I like free! :D

12. LOL :) Yup. :) And he'll take it in his bottle so its easy! :)