Sulmet and Valbazen

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Jul 21, 2008.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I need to treat some kids with Sulmet but I am in the middle of a course of Valbazen. Is it safe to give both at one time or should I stop the Valbazen to give them the Sulmet?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Do you have that backwards? Valbazen is the wormer and Sulmet is for cocci :) I don't normally give both at the same time, but there is no reason not to if you need to. Perhaps one in the morning and one at night? Vicki

3. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Nope :biggrin not backwards. Around here we give Valbazen 1 cc per 10 pounds for 5 days in a row. Kills the tapes that way and fecals come back clear. ;)

Ok thanks!

4. NubianSoaps.com

Oh Amanda...that is just some really really awful advice you are getting there. 5 days of a wormer that contains a flukecide? If you want to use Safeguard for days on end to get tapes you can, but you first don't need to use Valbazen like that, and second it's dangerous.

Nobody fecal sampled the first time after using valbazen and saw it wasn't working, so used it two days in a row the next time and then fecaled...nope didn't work so we will go to three times....took 5 times to see it worked...that's simply stupid. You will be lucky if you do not give your goats long term liver problems...all to get rid of tapes?

Please rethink this management! Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I absolutely agree with Vicki! A fluke med. is VERY strong and should be used in moderation at best...then to use it 5 days in a row?? Not good on the liver.
    Kaye

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I have to wonder.......is it really taking that much valbazen to get rid of the tapes ? I seldom have to do a repeat worming with valbazen to take care of that problem. I think I remember having to hit a young buck twice a couple years back (about a week apart on the wormings)....but he was eat up with tapes at the time. He was still clean as a pin 6 months later when I sold him.
    I'm with V & K here......that's a lot of wormer for a goat to try to filter out in such a compacted period of time. I think it is a risky practice that is most likely unnecessary if you really study it a little closer.
    ....and so far, I'm not hearing of any Super Tape Worms anywhere that are hard to kill, so I have doubts that your tapes are much different than anybody elses.

Whim

7. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Sorry! Very blonde moment :help

The reasoning behind the 5 day treatment wasn't tapes it was Geeardiah (or however you spell that.) Some neighboring herds lost quite a few aniamls due to it and the vet recomended that dosage for last year to be safe. Now that there is not a problem anymore I can go back to the normal ammount but I wouldn't have known that unless I asked. :(

Thanks for all the input! :biggrin

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I "think" Vicki found out to use Safeguard for giardia. Fenbendazole.??
    It's a whale of a lot safer than Valbazen at 5 days. No flukecide.
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

Yep good ole regular Safeguard/Panacur which is fenbendazole treats Giardia even in pups. Vicki

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Giardia ? Geez , if I was having outbreaks of giardia, I would be getting my water tested...and often. The best that I remember about giardia, is that beavers (poop) are the main source of spreading that stuff.....and streams and ponds where beaver live are usually full of the stuff. Also, the best that I remember, is that giardia is hard to filter out of water, and also, that chlorine doesn't have a hard killing effect on it either.

I think that Flagil sp? is the main drug of choice when treating giardia in humans. Lots of folks take a bottle of flagil with them if they are gonna make a trip to South America for very long.

I also remember that when I worked at the vets office, that we treated a lot of cats for giardia....and I was told to be very careful when cleaning up behind a cat that was infected.

Whim