Sulmet and Quest?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trnubian, Jan 8, 2009.

1. trnubian

trnubian New Member

I have 2- 6 week old bucklings on a round of sulmet right now. I need to worm them. is it safe to use Quest on them while they are on sulmet or should I wait?

TIA!

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Don't know about Sul-Met but I've used Quest or Cydectin in conjunction with Corid and Decoxx-M. I usually worm kids on the first day of coccidia treatments. It's just easier for me to remember.
    Kaye

3. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Ok thanks. I wouldn't think there would be much of a difference between Sulmet and the other sulfa so I think I will go ahead and give them that. They're gonna hate me but oh well.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also, though you won't be seeing alot of anything on fecal this time of year, everyone needs to be fecaling to make sure thier sulmet dose is actually working and that your Quest is in fact, at the dosages given, works for you this spring for HC. Vicki

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Amanda,
    Yes, there is a difference in sulfas. Go into goat keeping and check out the differences in the different sulfas (name of sulfa), mg/ml, and the correct doseages. Here we have to use such large doses of Sulmet that it's not feasable to put that much in a kid by drenching.
    There is a whole list of different types of sulfa.

I just got two bottles of the Sulfadimethoxine 40% to experiment with this year. I'll probably just stick with the Corid since it's still working quite well here and I have the doses in my head! And I do love those babies that will take it out of the syringe with snowcone syrup. :lol

As wet as it's been in Ark. and surrounding states this winter...I will be doing a lot more fecals than in years of less rainfall. Please do your fecals or have one done, that's the way you know what's working for you and gets those big healthy kids a good start on life.
    Kaye

6. trnubian

trnubian New Member

Thanks for the info guys. Sulmet is the only thing that has worked here in the last 2 years so I am not sure if I would want to go back and even try the cor-rid or albon again. Yep fecals are great, I will continue having those done. Thanks!