Sugar Scrub recipe

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by BlissBerry, Dec 17, 2007.

1. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a sugar scrub that they would be willing to share? I have come to realize that I LOVE sugar scrubs and I would like to make one. :D

Thanks,
    Sara

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This is one my sis made and gave for gifts leaving out the oil. Layered the dry ingridients, tied a pretty bow and a note stating to stir in 1/2 oil

1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup powered cocoa
    a few drops of chocolate and/or raspberry fragranced oil (not necessary)
    layer in jar with recipe to mix and add
    1/2 cup canola oil we used light olive oil

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Mine is just sugar and oil. No recipe. Ratio and what sugar I use depends on my mood. LOL I don't sell it though.

Now I am really getting into salt scrubs and thought I had them down pat. Then I went to a show where there was a sample in the restroom to be used on your hands. Never thought of using them on my hands. It was really nice.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

hmm I use a cup brown sugar a cup almond oil, and a little splash extra of white sugar to get the desired consistency, I also add in a tablespoon unrefined Shea butter. I package this in a blue round 4 oz with the press and seal, and a little wooden spoon tied on with a red ribbon. I add either lavender, or vanilla for scent. Now I'm NEW to sugar scrubs so If this sounds wrong Please correct me!

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

these all sound so nice, I think I will try some of them

Thanks

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Thanks for the recipes. I think I want something with a preservative. I have also heard of sugar scrubs made with e wax... does anyone make any with this ingredient? What oils are best to use? How much scent is used?

Thanks much,
    Sara

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't think you need a presearvative if no water is involved.

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

If you sell an Item that has the propensity to come in contact with water, like moistened fingers in the sugar scrub than yes, you do need to add a preservative ;)

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I see said the blind man:)

11. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Yes, that is what I've heard about scrubs. For my own personal use I do not want the preservative and only make up enough to last a week and use care getting it out of the jar with a clean spoon. The preservative issue is what keeps me from making some of this stuff to sell. You just know people are going to get water in there. So for now, I'm happy that I can make it for myself. :)

12. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I'm curious about how to figure out how much preservative to use in a scrub also.

13. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

So, all you guys who make sugar scrubs... do you mind sharing your recipes? Pretty please? :D

Sara

14. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sara,
    I have one that is tried and true, great stuff with the ewax, sell tons of it.. Will post tonight after work... Will make your skin feel like a baby's bottom, so soft... It has a preservative in it..

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Wonderful! Thanks so much for your generosity Barbara! Please feel free to PM the recipe to me.

Thanks again,
    Sara

16. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I to would like to have the recipe if you don't mind sharing. :thankyou2

17. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Does using e-wax keep it from separating? Is this what they call an emulsified scrub?

18. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, it does. I've been toying with several I have found on forums and haven't come up with one I love yet. I'm wondering if I like non emulsified better. I'm eager to see Barbara's.

Bethany

19. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

It is posted in the recipe section, it uses a conditioning emulsifier that softens your skin...
    Enjoy everyone... This one is great, I add seeds to help ex-foliate, poppy, strawberry, blueberry, or raspberry... You can make it with brown sugar, you can use regular e-wax.. You can add cream soap to make it a foamy sugar scrub... You can really play with this because it is a emusiflied scrub

20. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I have not tried the scrubs that contain soap (though I would like to eventually). My older skin likes the little bit of oil left after I use one of my scrubs. I do not need to use a moisturizer on my face at all. But I could see some younger folks or folks with oily skin who would not like it.