sudden absolute witch, at milking time

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I have milked goats for many years.......no major problems........this year, I have an Alpine yearling, who was inexperienced and stuff.......that is/was fine, and she learned and did GREAT! ....... but, suddenly, the past few weeks, (she freshened in Feb.) she has suddenly become a WITCH on the stand.... No mastitis, no ANYTHING that I can find,....... just kicky and obnoxious all of a sudden, and getting worse about it............ I have to hold her rear right foot for the entire milking......... (and it is a struggle) If she keeps it up, she is gone..........she has spilled SOOO much milk......... when not being milked, she is a docile dolly-girl.............. she runs right up onto the milkstand, is GREAT.. right up until I start milking her...........etc......... she is really beginning to annoy me.... any ideas? As much as I try, I am not a goat psychotherapist. I TRIED to be the "Goat whisperer" with her.. didn't work... She is still being a very naughty girl, who is normally VERY timid (for an Alpine) and cooperative.............What am I missing???????/

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well would say something has changed or she is sore Have you taken her temp?

3. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

yep! Temp is fine. she is eating fine as well... all seems to be just fine, other than her wanting to be milked...............(shrug)

4. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Any flies around? When flies come out some of my does get more kicky (not that I let them mind you). Is her udder dry? I have one doe who I put some homemade hand cream on as she has a dry udder which in turn hurts her to be milked. Have YOU changed how you milk? Also just try getting after her when she does this once you have eliminated that it could be nothing other than bratty behavior. Also try milking her from the other side. I had one doe who was fine for a while then all the sudden started kicking and what not. It got so bad I finally switched sides and it was like a whole new doe. Weird...

Justine

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

well..... I guess she is just a brat......... If I milk that side with my left hand, she does jumping jacks,.... if I milk with my right, and hold her foot with my left, she is fine........well, other than trying to kick, but I just keep holding her foot............. I dunno........I love her, but she sure is trying my patience! (Her twin sister, on the other hand, is a perfect angel.......) Poor Clarice. SOMEthing must be bugging her but I don;t know what it could be!)

6. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Try getting after her. OR try hobbling her for a while. I have some does who for no reason start acting like yearlings (silly girls) and I get after them as they DO know better but are testing me. Hmm...I am thinking of tricks I do. I will lean into a more kicky doe with my body/head. Sometimes I stick/rest my head right where the flank meets the stomach on the hind leg (don't know if I am explaining this right) and that helps for some reason. Try milking her different ways or holding your hand different on her teat.

If she was my doe I would try for about a week and after that I would send her down the road. I won't tolerate hard milkers or kicky milkers in my herd. No use for them and they as you said waste milk. Seems to me as if she knows what she is doing. One thing I have done is just keep right on milking onto the milkstand. I don't even put the bucket underneath them but when they start kicking I hold right on to the teat and don't let go. Normally after 2-3 milkings like this they get the idea that no matter what I WON'T be letting go anytime soon even if they do act like a silly filly/ditzy doe.

Justine

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have a two year old Nubian that decided to be a brat on the milk stand tonight. She's usually very calm. What was different was the milking order. She usually comes in with the first or second group. Tonite, DH started the milking and she wound up coming in with the last group which consisted of the herd queen and two yearlings. Goats don't like change. Kathie

8. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Maybe she's just trying to wean you. Since you said she freshened in February now would be about when she would be trying to wean any kids. We've had a few try this but after a few days of persistance they settled back down into their old routine.

Ray

9. Hannah is like that on the stand. Not that crazy but she has dumped so much milk this time around. ugh. :(

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I think I'm being "weaned". Lotus acted up on the milk stand again today. Last year, she raised her kid. She's now 3 months fresh. I'm noticing my does with kids on them aren't nursing their babies as much. Lotus has been giving less milk. I assumed she was feeding her buddy's buckling, but maybe she's just drying up, in which case she'll probably wind up in the freezer as she isn't a good producer anyway. Kathie

11. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions... Hmm.. maybe she IS trying to wean me! As soon as this latest calf is old enough, and I can wean him, she can wean me! (we are raising him on goat milk.) In the meantime, I will make sure just not to let her get the best of me, as trying as she is. Thanks.

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Lotus is helping to feed her buddy's buckling. He's huge. I seperated her from the babies one afternoon and her bag filled. I them put her back in the main pen and when I went to milk a few hours later, she had less milk. I guess she wants to start weaning one of her "kids". Kathie