Sucking problems

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by homeacremom, Mar 5, 2008.

1. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

My week old doeling has had mild problems sucking that became apparent about 12 hrs. old. Hungry, rooting, good sucking reflex, swallows well but after 8-10 sucks her tongue is hanging out the side of her mouth and she has to break her latch to get the nipple situated again. She also seems to get tired of sucking before she's had enough. I gave her Bose the first 3 days and 5 days of oral vit. E. I was concerned about overdosing, but should have gotten on here to ask... morning of day 6 she seemed better and was able to drink a whole bottle stopping only once or twice. Last night she seemed a bit worse and today definitely relapsing.
    How long can I give the BoSE and vit E? Is this the correct treatment? and are there any other symptoms or "things" I should be aware of.
    Thanks!

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

What type of nipple are you using? Some just take a little longer to get it than others..yep boys do eat more than the does sometimes...

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I would try the BoSE and extra Vit E for another couple maybe 3 days and you can keep up the Vit E (I use 400 iu people capsuls) but don't think I would keep up the BoSe longer than 3 more days if this relapse happens again then pm or email Vicki as to what to do.
    That being said I have given a sick doe full dose BoSE for 10 days straight becaus Sue Reith told me to do so and I had no ill effects and the doe healed great.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

1cc per 40 pounds of bo-se is the selenium a doe needs daily, you would be hard pressed to overdose it unless you are not in a defficient area and was using this....missdiagnosis of the problem she is having etc. Say she has a brain oxygen injury and isn't having classic WMD...White Muscle Disease not bush's WMD :) so you give Bo-se daily for a month, sure you could overdose her if selenium is not the issue. E is the same thing, 300 IU is the daily dose, so using a 400 IU capsule, is likely getting all the 300 IU E out of the capsule, since alot sticks to it...but they pee out E and they build up selenium....or so I have been told, I have never researched that.

I know that 1cc per 40 pounds only gives a raise in blood level here for about 2 weeks, why I use Mu-se. And don't hesitate to use Bo-se at 1cc per 40 pounds daily to problem kids...and if you have many of her born this year, or other symptoms you may want to use more than the 1cc per 40 like I do to your does. Mine is always in the high multiples, so the does of mine who likely will quad, or as a FF triplet, they simply get more Bo-se than someone who always twins or is older and doesn't have quads in her family. Is the selenium in your loose minerals as high as it can be? If too many problems exsists you may need to use a premixed feed with minerals (horse all grain etc.) instead of just whole oats so they are also getting selenium in the mineral mix on the milkstand twice a day. vicki

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

today's supper time feeding was delayed by two hours. She was very hungry and latched on only letting go once to decompress the bottle. :/ Go figure...maybe this is a learning problem. She seems healthy and vigorous otherwise so I do not think it is brain damage. Hope not as she is well proportioned and should have great potential as a homestead dairy goat.
    I think I will give her a dose of BoSe and vit E again and see how it goes. Thanks!

Vicki, I think Vit E is fat soluble making it possible to build up both the selenium and E to toxic levels.

I just had triplets born over supper time - one buckling and two doelings. Seems like the doelings have problems controling their tongues as well. Thinking that maybe I have a problem this year for the first time because my does were dry lotted the whole pregnancy. I did give them handfuls of pine needles and green stuffs every couple days, but probably wasn't as careful as I should have been. It may be that the does were low on vit E and did not utilize their dietary selenium well.
    I need to get fresh minerals again. My bag is a year old now. I found a place that will order in Blue Bonnet's Tech master complete so just need to call them up and get it... I haven't compared selenium levels. I am always looking at copper, salt, and calcium...

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Did your does get the BoSE at breeding and again 1 wk before freshening?? this could also be the problem as nothing passed to the kids.

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Sorry you are having troubles.

Yes, vitamin A is fat soluble, it builds up. The vitamins A D E K are fat soluble, Remember the word, so to speak, "ADEK".

And I am wondering how few goats you have that you would have a bag of minerals that would last one year? Mine go through minerals like crazy. They like them fresh and don't eat them if they are old or damp. Just trying to be helpful and throw out some ideas. :D

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I got my BoSe 1 week before my first doe kidded so they had 1 week before freshening but not at breeding.

9. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

:lol yeah, I just have a few goats compared to most of the rest of y'all. At least for now. If I had the acreage we'd have more! Some day we will!!!! For now I've got three does and two bucks.
    What mineral (cargill's Right Now Onyx) is not in the feeder is stored in a sealed bucket. I still see one or the other eating them occasionally, maybe 2-3x a week so I guess they still taste good. Maybe it helps that I only keep out small amounts and put out fresh every couple weeks. They just don't eat many. :shrug My does stopped eating minerals like candy a few weeks after I switched to whole grains and alfalfa... Never been quite sure if this is good or bad.
    This is the third kidding on the whole grain diet and the first to have problems so I am guessing this is related to being drylotted w/ no green stuff to supply the more perishable vits and that on top of a very hot dry year. They had hay almost all summer instead of grass.
    Thank you for the discussion and ideas; it is appreciated. It just keeps rolling around in my head and will too! until I figure out why I am having so many problems with weak, floppy kids who don't suck well. Besides the doeling that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread I have triplets that are/were even worse. Those triplets were out of my new Saanen doe. She came to me showing slight copper deficiency. Talking of minerals she did pig out for several weeks at the beginning and then looked better. Maybe these kids have some copper deficiency as well as FKS.
    I am WILLING the 2nd set of triplets to keep on doing well. Keep telling myself that they aren't going to lose their suck, but I guess I'm braced for problems. Oh well!!! This is my year to gain lots of experience. :laughcry