SubQ vs IM

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Apr 3, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

In the recent thread on lysigin, it was stated that we could give the vaccine either SubQ or IM.

What are the pros and cons of each method?

Thanks,
    PJ

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

From what I have observed the IM gets into the bloodstream faster than the SQ. I like either basically.

3. lyceum

lyceum New Member

IM is the quickest method, after IV that is. It starts working faster. The only drawback is that it has to be right into the muscle. Kind of scary if you have never done it before.

SQ takes a little longer to start working, but is very easy to give. Just right under the skin. My favorite kind of shot to give. Goat hardly notices that you have given it.

If I had a choice, it would be SQ, unless the goat would benefit from the drugs working faster, then IM

Carisa

4. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Vaccines are less likely to cause an abscess if given IM vs. SQ. Goats react much less to SQ than IM injections. Most drugs outside of routine stuff (vaccines, BO-SE, etc.) you will want to follow the label because it can affect milk/meat withdrawals, drug level in the bloodstream, etc. IM gets the drug systemic quicker but doesn't last as long as SQ.

5. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks for all the info.

I much prefer giving shots Sub-Q. Much less scary than an IM shot where you can hit the vein.

Since it seems to be optional which method to use with the lysigin vacc, I wanted to know if there was a reason to give it IM.

Thanks again!
    PJ

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

If you are worried about hitting a vein...just pull back the plunger before you inject. If you get blood, find a new spot. You honestly will hit blood 1 time out of 10,000....seriously, there's no reason to be intimidated. If you hit it....so what? Just don't actually inject without aspirating back first. That is standard protocol every time an injection is given at the clinic where I work no matter where or what you are giving.