stupid question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hsmomof4, Dec 26, 2008.

1. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I know that nobody can tell me when my goats are going to kid, but I was wondering if it was even possible to tell what folks think the longest we'll be waiting is. (Obviously, you could say 150 days! :crazy) The human kids around here are about convinced it's never going to happen. :/

The people that we bought them from thought they were due some time in Nov, but that was obviously wrong. When we got them (at the end of October), they had no udders to speak of, and you couldn't even see teats unless you got down low and looked under the goat. Udders started developing at least 4 weeks ago (I have pics from Thanksgiving where you can see them) but they are much larger now (as are the goats! :lol ). Other than that, they don't seem to be showing signs of kidding in the immediate future.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Do you know how to check ligaments? Takes some practice but that's the surest way. Looking for a tight shiny udder, acting different, etc. They can leave you hanging for weeks if you don't have dates though. I have literally looked at the goats one day and said she's going to be soon, but that one's going to be at least a couple weeks....and been totally wrong and I am not completely new to this.

3. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

The ligaments seem somewhat looser than when I first started checking (back in Nov) but I can still feel them.

4. When they lose the ligaments, it'll be really mushy feeling.

Goodluck! :)

The udder will get really tight and 'shiny' looking to when they are close to kidding.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Since you got them the end of Oct. the longest you'd be waiting is the end of March. From the sound of your post, these are first fresheners (I can see the teats of my dry milkers by just looking at them from the rear). My FF usually start making little udders about 4-8 weeks before they kid. When mine are due within a day, the udders become much fuller and the goats start nesting. The trick is to know your goats. After this year, it will be easier for you to know when they will kid. Most does bag up before they kid, but some don't really come into their milk until the process of birthing their kids. Kathie

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

shave their udders now and back legs/ hinny and then you will see the tight shinny udders. Ligaments are my way of knowing for sure that with in 12 hrs birthing is very close.
    By the way my first goats bought in Sept due any day :rofl had their babies Feb 21 and 22 and one didn't develope an udder or milk for two days afterwards. SO save that first colostrum.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Every kidding season this is the #1 question! Dang, I wish I had a magic ball to predict kidding dates I'd be RICH!

You'll get all kinds of answers, some work, some are *busy work*~like sending men to boil water! Just keep sending the kids out to check on them...it gives them something to do. :lol

Latest due date would be from the day you took them away from the farm, if they were running with a buck AND IF you don't have a buck on your place running with the does. (Boy, THAT helps doesn't it?)

Unless you shave the back ends of your does, you will even miss the *hollowing* effect. Tail head raises, hollows on either side of tail head. But, there again...I have several does that this doesn't happen on. One doe kidded on the trailer at LA (with triplets) several years ago, walked off the trailer and received an EX in rump....tailhead never raised, she was as flat rumped on that day as the rest of the year!
    Kaye

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Actually, they are second fresheners. The one that is bigger this time had one baby last time and the one that is smaller had twins. But the one that is smaller this go 'round seems to be about a week later than the other, if when she began to develop an udder is any indication. I was surprised that they didn't have any udders at all to begin with because my friend's dry does' udders are still very visible. But then, hers are very heavy milkers. The previous owners never got around to really milking these goats last time. They milked the one who only had one baby a little bit and didn't milk the other one at all. They have heavy milking dairy cows also and I think that maybe they didn't think that the goats were worth the effort to milk. The kids were dam-raised and I don't know how long they were on the mom, so it's possible that they let them dry up pretty early. Maybe that would have something to do with the lack of udders?

They were running with the buck and I don't have one. Yet. ;) And then they sold the buck about a week before I bought the does.

Shaving will be interesting. I think that the one will be pretty easy, but the other is rather jumpy if you are anywhere near her udder. I've been working with them, though, and they're improving. Right now their udders are very furry! I'll have to let everyone know how it goes. It may be quite the rodeo!!

9. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Oh, suggestions on the best way to go about the shaving if the goats aren't inclined to stand still for it? I don't want to get them up on the milking stand--at least not the bigger one, who is jumpier--because I'm afraid that she will totally freak out and we'll have a disaster.

10. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Try putting her up on the milkstand a few times before you even try to shave her. Then when she's used to it try it. If she freaks out you can always try again the next day. Trying to shave her without being restrained might be more crazy.

11. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I've had them on the milkstand plenty...that's where they are getting their grain. At mealtimes, I let them out into the barn (either from the paddock or from their very large stall--depending on the weather) and they just run (or waddle, as the case may be) over there and hop up. It didn't take long to train them to get on the milkstand for their feed! I wouldn't try to shave them without restraint...it's just a matter of the best way to do it. Problem is that the one dances all over the place up there if something is happening that she doesn't like and I'm afraid that she'll dance right over the side of it with her head still in the stanchion. So I'm thinking that having my husband help to restrain her on the ground might work better, but am wondering the best way to do that.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

can you push your milk stand up against one wall then a strap around her to secure her against the wall start shaving just part of a leg and see how she does then go to the rear part of the leg, then the stomach area infront of the udder then the back part of the udder. Turn the stand around and do the same. Who knows she may just stand there like a little lady, once you've got her used to the noise of the razor.

13. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

For my dancing does, I put the stand against the wall & hold up a front leg. Most of the does I have now have been handled so much from babyhood on that I get no dancing

14. shawhee

shawhee Member

Can someone explain what areas you shave. I know the udder - but how much on legs etc. Anyone have a picture they can post of a doe shaved prior to kidding??

Thanks,
    Shawna

15. When I give them the birthing clip, I clip the tail (Dairy cut) up past the ligaments. I clip their udder. I also clip up the leg from the hock area, near the udder going up to where the ligaments are. I find it easier to clean the milkers before milking them out when they have this type of cut.

Here's the area around the tail.
    [​IMG]

Here's a pygmy clipped for kidding.
    [​IMG]

16. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thank you Amy, that helps a bunch!

17. You're welcome. :) Glad I could help.

18. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Seems like we're getting closer. One of my does' udders was about twice as big this am as it was yesterday and her ligaments seem to be gone and she had some blood tinged mucus discharge. So hopefully, we'll have babies soon.

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Let us know how everything goes!!

Christy

20. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

My daughter says those butts look familiar! lol!!! I assured her they're not.