Stud Service

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

After joining this board and getting my goats about 5 weeks ago, someone warned me that goats were addictive. I have come to understand that!

My Mini-Mancha doelings are 3-4 months old and weigh between 25-36 pounds. Some have suggested they could be bred at 8 months, others say 12 +.

I am anxious to start milking my goats and increasing the size and quantity of my herd, but reason prevails as I realize the long term health of my goats is more important. I acknowledge I may be getting ahead of myself with 4 to 8 months to go however I want to be as informed as possible.

Because I do not have a buck, What is the procedure for having your does bred? Do you take them to someones farm and leave them for a month? Do you hope they all come in heat at the same time? What is a typical "Stud" fee? Are there other fees associated? Is it possible to take them to someone and have them AI them? What would that cost?

Finally, I live in Northern Utah, are there any reputable Mini-Mancha breeders in close proximity I could contact?

Thanks

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also haven't bred mine yet, but I do have a buck. I would never be without a buck :) I just hate the whole breeding at someone elses house, and then getting breeding dates, and then they don't kid.

I would not breed 3rd generations to kid as young yearlings, although 2nd generations are really just small lamancha's so I would breed them younger. Least wise that is how I am looking at doing it.

With 8 months before breeding I would hunt down a buck to purchase and use. Vicki

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I don't like being without a buck either, too many times a doe is bred and will come back into heat the next cycle. That would be a real headache if you had to take her back to a stud on someone else's farm. If you do decide on getting a buck, and want to know exact breeding dates, which is reccommened if you want to be there at the births, then you will need a very strong buck pen to house him separate. Very strong :D

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I have 2 1st gen MM's and one 2nd gen MM. Is it okay to breed them at 8 months?

5. I dont like being with out a buck either. The first year we had to take Hannah to the buck a couple of times because she didn't take the first time. Talk about a pain in the rear. I dont care if I have 1 doe or 50 does. I'll always have a buck. Soooo much easier then driving them somewhere. I currently have 2 nubian bucklings.

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Unless you have a buck owned by a person willing to help you and is really near by you really need a buck. Some does do quirky things like going out of heat the minute they are transported, etc. I would never be without a buck.

Jolene

7. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Shoot! Sounds like I may need to get a buck! With my small herd, I would prefer not to have to worry about another mouth to feed that is not going to produce milk for the family . . . but ya gotta do. Now I need to find a really good buck.

8. Truly

Truly New Member

Daniel, you can get a nice buck or buckling at breeding time, make sure everyone is bred, then put him in the freezer. That way you're not feeding him year round, but you got him when you need him.

Side note: You can butcher yourself, or, I take mine to the butcher who grinds all except the tenderloin into hamburger for me.

9. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Lois if I could find a really good looking buck that would improve my herd genetics for generations to come. I would think I would be crazy to use him once and then eat him? Or am I just crazy! I may want to keep him??? I have never eaten goat or goat burger how does it taste?

No one has really replied to my question about breeding my girls this fall. They will be 8-9 months old at breeding time??? Any suggestions?

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wish Sondra was back. She is our minimancha guru.

The problem with minis is that you can't go by weight like you can the big girls. Sondra doesn't breed does to kid their first year like we do the big girls, she waits and kids them out fall as older yearlings or spring as turning 2 year olds.

Honestly first crosses...half lamancha, half ND, I can't see a reason in the world not to breed them...but 3rd generations...are simply too small.

Plus if you were breeding to a mini buck that is 4th generation or higher, sure breed your does young to him because the kids will be tiny....but if you only have a 1st or 2nd generation buck to use, the kids will be too big for a really young miniM to kid out.

Also it takes new folks awhile to get their sea legs, and get all the mangement together to produce kids out of young dams, full sized or mini goats, without harming the dam.

So my answer is, it depends :)

So in purchasing cute little kids, you do have to remember with certain breeds and some bloodlines, it's a long wait for milk and more kids if you can't kid them out until 2! Vicki