stubborn goat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by hsmomof4, Jan 4, 2009.

1. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Both of my does kidded this past week. I've owned them since the end of October and this was their second freshening. The last time they freshened, they were essentially not milked. Right after I got them, I had my husband build me a milking stand and I began to get them used to it, feeding them their grain and alfalfa pellets (which I introduced gradually, as before that, they had been getting brome hay and free choice minerals and that was it) twice a day in the milkstand, grooming them, trimming their hooves (which also had not been done before), etc. From the beginning, one of the goats was a lot easier to work with under any and all circumstances (even just petting her on the ground) and the other was more jumpy. Jumpy goat kidded on Wednesday.

We left the babies on their dams, but I am milking twice a day. I was figuring that milking might be interesting, as both the goats and I are new to it, but it seemed to be going ok and last night I actually finished milking them before they were done eating. The one thing that the more difficult one really does not like is the teat dip (actually neither one cares for it, but she really hates it). I thought it might be because it was so cold, leaving it down at the barn, so I started bringing it up to the house in between milkings. That seemed to help a little. Last night though, when it came time for dipping after milking (speaking of which, how does that work best with dam raising?) she attempted to lie down in the stand so that I could not get at her teats, and when I got her back up, would dance around on the stand. I dipped her anyway and put her back with her babies.

Today, though, she decided part way through milking that she was done and lay down again. :really If I got her up, she would dance around if I tried to get the bucket under her or went near her teats. So I took her feed away (there was quite a lot left) and put her back with her babies. Food is ordinarily a huge motivator for her, so I was hoping that she might get the clue that if she did not cooperate with me on the milkstand that she wasn't going to get the feed. No lumps or anything suspicious in the strip cup. I can do a CMT later today if you all think it could be the onset of mastitis instead of just a very stubborn goat. If it is just a very stubborn goat, what suggestions do you have for me?

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

What kind of teat dip are you using? Personally, if I were dam raising and just getting a bit of milk for me, then I wouldn't bother with the teat dip at all, seeing as how the kids would still be nursing anyway. And I asked what kind you were using because maybe it's irritating her skin? I have a doe that is great to milk, but if you take your hands off her at anytime, she figures it's time to quit and will have a fit if you try touching her teats again. So with her, I have what I need nearby and will keep one hand on her udder and use the other to get what I need... especially a the end of milking season, when I dry-cow her.
    Personally, I doubt it would be mastitis. Try the "keeping in contact" thing and make sure, if your going to use the dip, that it's not irritating her skin in any way.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also don't let her win If she is laying down on you put a big bucket under her stomach so she can't and keep on milking.

4. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

The teat dip is a foaming iodine-based one called Foam-N-Dip. I got it from Caprine Supply.

That bucket suggestion is a good one. I'll try that tonight.

5. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Iodine can be drying to the skin. I believe there is a mixture on here for just bleach and water that might be better. If you don't see anything wrong with her teats, then I bet she just does not want to be milked. Take a good look at her though and make sure that she does not have a raw spot from one of the kids.
    And I agree with Sondra, don't let her win. If you have to, hobble her or secure her feet were she can't dance around. And food is a good incentive for her to behave on the milk stand. So only give her grain on the milk stand.
    Theresa

6. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I find that they are quite prone to laying down when they have kids on them-they realise you can't milk them and hence keep doing it. Her kids are going to be more of a motivator then food for at least the first month (or so it seems with mine), if you can tie a strap to the ceiling you can hook a belt through it and do up just in front of her udder for a few days, then she can't lie down and it should stop her. Whatever you do don't stop when she lays down! Make her uncomfortable until she stands again-I poke them in the ribs with my fingers, not hard just a regular poke-poke-poke they seem to realise I'm willing to sit there and poke all day long if needed and give up. Or I pretend I want to have a look at their teeth-they always get up when I do that LOL
    Vanessa

7. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Ok, so the first night after posting (last night) was a wrestling match. I did the bucket thing Sondra suggested and that helped some, though the bucket was pretty funny looking by the time we were done. I got her milked and everything but it was a fight every step of the way. I left thinking that probably neither one of us was entirely sure who won but that probably neither one of us wanted to go through that again, either!! Today has been much better. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

8. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I think you won if she didn't fight you as much the next time! Keep working with her, she should come around.

9. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

Good luck with her.
    Deana