Stringy yellow discharge!?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:crazy I just saw Solana have a yellow, creamy-looking stringy discharge. What is this??? Is this her "plug"? What exactly does that mean? She keeps nesting. Laying down and stuff.

-Kim :faint

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

It means get a cup of tea and camp out in the barn .

Patty

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

It can mean maybe I'm getting ready and maybe I'm not :) I have two that should be showing signs and doing nothing and I have one that is having discharge etc etc etc and isn't due until Apr. Have you read the does code of honor?

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Sondra...yes I have read it. I laughed silly. :rofl Cup of tea sounds good. :D Guess I'll go back out to the barn. There is suppose to be a winter storm tonight so according to the does code of honor she should go, right!? :rofl

See ya in the mornin! :lol

-Kim

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Stay calm most of the time they do it all on there own . Plus the sire is a small buck so the babies should be a bit smaller.

Just keep checking there is a good chance she will go if she is nesting also. You can insert your hand to see if she is dialated .

Patty

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

She sure does look very swollen back there. Breathing is a little heavier. No tail arches yet but still having a little discharge. The stringy stuff I saw before was hanging down by a good 6-8". Lots of it. Not so much now, just a tiny bit.
    Puts her head around and lays it on her side. A few times she flicked her tail quick as if something had tickled her. Are these signs?
    She was just laying there ever since my last post and just chewed her cud. The kid/kids inside her are VERY active. Is this normal. I figured they wouldn't be active if they are in the birth canal??? I guess time will tell. Huh? :D

-Kim

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If in the birth canal you won't see activity I do not think
    another big clue will be when she diggs her way to China

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:lol Thank you Sondra. I'll keep a look out for that. She does not seem to be doing anything now. Will check up on her in an hour. Thanks for your help. I have but one last question.... If the discharge that I saw was her "plug", how soon after is the average for kidding? 5hrs? 12hrs? 2 days??? :help

-Kim :)

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I've got a doe due on 3/24 and she lost her plug, today. That's not a good sign to go by. 3yr.old 3rd freshener.
    Kaye

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope plug really doesn't have a lot to do with it.

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It is just past midnight here. She is still a bit restless. I saw one tail arch awhile ago. Watched her breathing and it seemed like she was tensing up just a little every few minutes. Could have been I was seeing things. :lol Will let you know if anything changes in a new post. Thanks for all of your help in this. :D

-Kim

12. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

If one kid is in the canal, I can still feel and see the other/s moving. I love to feel directly in front of the udder, I can always feel the second kid lying there waiting for the first one to get out of its way. :D

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I have felt them in that area. Isn't it great! Nice to know that movement can still be going on during labor. Will post the outcome in a new post in the morning. So far it is just past 2am. Other than being very restless and her previous symptoms still showing there doesn't seem to be a major change yet. Will keep everyone posted. :D I'm going to try and shut my eyes for a few minutes. Check on her again around 3am or so.

-Kim
    :needcoffee​

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""" I saw one tail arch awhile ago. Watched her breathing and it seemed like she was tensing up just a little every few minutes. Could have been I was seeing things"""""

Tail arches up and down a little.....usually goes along with at least one of her back legs being stretched out and back some during a push. During a normal push, this should only last a few seconds, 10 to 15....with each push.
    My goats seem to breath about 20 breaths a minute normally.........I timed the breathing on my last doe that kidded, and hers went up to about 50 breaths per minute when she was in true labor.
    Ears will almost always be set unnatural to her normal look. Often, when laying down.....they will place their
    head back against the side of their front shoulder for a minute or so. Also , don't be surprised if she acts like she is taking little cat naps between contractions.
    Birth canal is not that long a distance in length when compared to the length of the kid.....but the one in the birth canal really don't have any room to be kicking around much.....but you can often see the others kicking around on momma's belly.

Geez......I hope all is well.....and maybe she'll kid without any troubles.

Whim

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

She was laying her head back like that last night. Took cat naps too but I just chalked that up to being the middle of the night. This morning (8:00am) I checked on her again. NOTHING! AAAHHH! She ate her grain and is now eating her hay. No true labor. :crazy Her plug did go about 7pm last night though so maybe sometime today/evening?(I'm assuming it was her plug. Don't know what else it could have been.) ??? I don't know how soon after plug discharge they can NORMALLY wait. :shrug

-Kim :D

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well, as earlier stated.....that goop that is there can kinda come and go sometimes. As a rule of thumb here, my doe's usually quit eating about 4 to 6 hours before going into labor.....but, in earlier threads ran on here, many say that their goats will try to eat while in labor....sooooo, not sure about that anymore. Chewing cud is always a good sign at any ole time. Grinding teeth is really what I don't like to hear during labor at any time, but I think that some doe's will grind teeth anyway a little bit.
    Just keep a watch on her.

Whim

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Again, Kaye and the rest of us already answered this question. They can lose their mucus plugs a few weeks in advance. Nothing is set in stone... each doe is different.

How about this plan... you keep checking on your doe and post again when something actually happens. Right now you are all worked up and getting overly excited. You are going to wear yourself (and us) out! I know you want the babies to arrive but seriously... take a DEEP breath and RELAX!!!

Sara

18. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

"Take a deep breath and relax." Good advice. :D Maybe I'll go get myself some tea too. I have been a bit crazy lately. :lol

-Kim

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Camamile supposed to be great for that :)

20. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Shoot, you know how much camamile it would take to make that girl calm down? :rofl Just razzing you Kim. :biggrin I'm starting to get anxious over this doe myself.

Kim,
    got a camera?... take a picture of that doe. Side view, butt view.. udder view. Inquisitive minds want to know what she looks like.