Stressful births

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Mar 15, 2008.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I'm so tired I hope this is making sense. I only slept about an hour last night. Last evening, Cozette lost her mucus plug and started nesting. Then mercedes started nesting as well. Naturally, I was in and out of the goat pen. About 10:30 Mercedes water broke and she was sreaming fluids, but not pushing. After about half an hour, she started pushing and then would stop. I examined her privates and felt a baby. Got hubby and he treid to pull the kid, but she wasn't dilated enough. After working with her we were able to deliver a decent size buckling. Then she had a little doeling. Doeling got cold while we were finishing up out there, Of course she had to kid on the coldest night of the week. So I was up warming the doe kid and tubing her. Tubing was scary for me. I only had to do it once before. She has been weak all day, but getting stronger. Still not standing. I lay and slept with her for about an hour and went to check on Cozette. She still wasn't pusning, so I went in and checked. Kid backward with only 1 leg out. Pulled two bucklings. Mom had yellow fluid so must have been laboring a while without pushing. I have the first kid in the house because he got cramped his body seems twisted. He eats just fine. After all this, I disbudded the buckling I sold today and drove to Helena to pick up alfalfa pellets form my friend and have her look at the doeling. Scott Horner's sister Camille was visiting si I got to see her too. Then I got home and fed. Mystique refused her dinner and claimes the small goat house, so it looks like more babies. I really hope she has them early. I need some sleep. Kathie

2. Truly

Truly New Member

Well, that's why you took the week off, right?

I'm sorry you've had a hard time. Get some sleep when you can.

Keep us up to date on your kiddings.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH goodness that is stressful hope you do get some sleep tonight Congrats on the kids.

4. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Sorry things aren't going well as far as easy kiddings. I'm glad you got the week off aren't you? Let us know how the other one goes.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Mystique had triplets while it was still light out. It was a bit of a trainwreck - a breech buckling and his sister trying to come at one time - but we got them straightened out and all are doing OK. Two bucks and a doe. She's a big healthy girl/ Mercedes' doeling is now getting the hand of taking the bottle. I'm so glad I don't have to tube her anymore. We now have 4 sets of triplets and two sets of twins. Five doelings out of the bunch. At least I got one of the bucklings sold already and he's the grade. We have some nicely colored Nubian bucklings this year including a black with a few white spots, a flashy black and white and two blue roans. All are available if anyone is interested. I get to sleep tonite. The last two due soon look like they'll wait till tomorrow. Kathie

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Mercedes doeling is now able to stand on her own and is doing great with the bottle. She also was the loudest kid this morning demanding breakfast. We now have a small herd in the kitchen. Kathie

7. Jennie

Jennie Guest

I'm glad things are getting better. We have a small herd also in the kitchen. Only a true goat lover would do this. :crazy :lol

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:biggrin Glad to hear she is doing Great!!! dont you just love that sound before your first cup of coffee in the morning... :lol

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Congrats! I'm looking forward to having goats in my own kitchen. Soon...very soon! :D

-Kim

10. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:crazy :biggrin you say that now...just wait... :crazy :biggrin