Stress

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terry, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Member

How do you help a doe that seriously stresses over going to shows? I don't show her but I have to take her when there's no-one home to milk her. She is a yearly ff.
    Terry

2. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

I don't show (yet) but I know I have seen products for calves and horse that are supposed to calm them for shows and such.
    I have no experience with anything like that though.

*Can anybody tell that this SHY girl is trying to up her post count. Just so I can see how everbodys garden is going!!

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

I would give her b-complex and Bo-Se for sure. Also Probios. Preventative so she doesn't get sick while under this stress.

Perhaps some essential oils like lavender dabbed on her nose? If she will eat garlic, feed her garlic. It is very relaxing to the nerves.

Camille (who doesn't need her post count increased! :) )

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Don't take her alone. Does she have a friend that she hangs out with at home? Take that goat with her also. When I start showing my FF I always take a friend for them to be pen with because they have just gotten into the milkbarn and they are not friends with the older milkers. Vicki

5. Terry

Terry Member

The only other doe that I have tries to beat the snot out of her so I can't pen them together.
    Terry

6. Terry

Terry Member

Oh I did give her b-complex and probios before we left for the show. She did eat hay and chew cud but she refused grain and alfalfa pellets and her milk production went down by half. Once we got home she went back to being her normal self.
    Terry

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Was she drinking lots of water?? gatorade in the water They won't eat grain and alfalfa if they won't drink water has been my experience.

8. Terry

Terry Member

She did drink water while we were there, not as much as she would have if we were home though.
    Terry

9. Odeon

Odeon New Member

an extra-dry martini works on me... you could always try that! :rofl :rofl :rofl

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Very funny,Ken!
    I had a doe that stressed going to shows...until I figured out what her problem was. She wouldn't eat hay like the rest in the trailer and it threw her off. So, before I loaded her she got 30cc oral CMPK and before I went to bed at the show I'd give her another 15cc CMPK. She always had milk the next morning and a belly full of hay. Stopped her from going off. May or may not be your problem.
    Kaye

11. We had a cow once that we use to give her about half a bottle of Vodka the day of the show. She LOVED that stuff...did not mind the cheap stuff either!

You can give them a shoot...most call it show ease. But, watch out, cause at times it will make them drunker than you want to see them. Also it will take about 12 hours for it to wear off completely. Also, we have found that just a handful full of Advil works the same.

Ken in MO

12. GypsyRose

GypsyRose New Member

13. Terry

Terry Member

Rofl
    I am thinking about drying her off before the fall shows just so she can stay at home.
    Thanks for all the suggestions,
    Terry

14. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We had one like that a while ago and we always penned her with her buddy and penned her right next to our tack pen so we were usually in sight. I would think that you could use a "show calm" product that they use for cattle but would have no clue for dosage. I have heard of many goats liking the booze - Like their owners!
    Mary

15. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How about some Rescue Remedy? It works great, no drunk goats :rofl and you can use it for all sorts of stressful stuff.. like disbudding!

I just can't imagine the trouble my goats would get into after raiding the liquor cabinet! :crazy

16. Terry

Terry Member

I hear ya, mine get into enough trouble without being intoxicated.
    Terry

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I gave Birdy a little more banamine than I should have and she layed down on me twice in the ring! Twice! Of course in front of the world and folks on this forum also! I had to grab her ear to get her back up! She did get her leg that weekend but that was embarassing.

I think the CMPK idea is really good for any doe who is off feed at shows, or who gets too much grain at shows as you leave the milkstand grain sack next to her pen and she eats all that is left...thank god it was just a one day show with only one milkout after the show! I did treat her with CMPK when she got home and for a couple of days...the big cow didn't have any problems though. Vicki

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tammi those herbs are really good and what I need for myself when taking goats to a show.

19. GypsyRose

GypsyRose New Member

Yanno, when I used to show my cats I used to give them a quarter of a dramamine (sp?) That would be enough to make them calm. Would this work in goats as well or would it be toxic to them? Just curious! I have also used Rescue Remedy and that works wonders as well...however it is a very small bottle for a pretty hefty price if I remember correctly.

Tammi
    Soon to have goats!

20. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I have had a doe that got really car sick(foaming at the mouth, etc.). I got some kind of homeopathic drops. We gave it to her just a few drops (it is for dogs and cats and apparently goats too) and she wouldn't stress at shows and she didn't get car sick either. I will have to find it and tell you the name.
    Silvia