Strange lye water

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I made three batches of soap today. I mixed up my lye water in the afternoon and made the soap after dinner. It sat out in an open container (safely out of the way of anything or anyone). When I went to use it there was a crust over the top. The first pitcher I just stirred it and broke it up and used it. I could see some flakes in the soap. Scooped out a few larger ones but there were lots of little ones.

The next batch I decided to pour through a sieve. The lye water (50%) was very thick and didn't run through easily. There were flakes in the sieve and a bunch in the bottom of my pitcher. That batch took longer to trace than normal. Now I'm wondering if there was enough lye in it.

The third batch I mixed new lye water for.

So what was this? Did some of the lye crystalize on top the water? Do those of you that mix lye ahead of time experience this? Or is it because I didn't cover my container?

2. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

I had this happen to me once a long time ago.. I did use the lye, but I took the stick blender to it to mix it well..
    I have no idea what causes it..
    Barbara

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You don't want to keep your lye/water uncovered. You don't want the water to evaporate down passed your percentage. Of course the top will crust. In doing mine in the bleach jugs now, I don't have any of this but I still, always, seive my lye as it is being measured out. And yes it is thicker than just made lye/water. I found a source for 50/50 lyewater, I can't wait to get some, I am waiting on redtape, but of course. Vicki

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

My chemical company here locally carries 50/50 lyewater, how would I go about using this?

Autumn

5. NubianSoaps.com

It's really simple. Say you use 16 ounces of lye in your recipe. If you measure out 32 ounces of this product it would be 16 ounces of lye and 16 ounces of water. Then you can add the rest of your liquid in milk or water or? at emulsion. Just note that your dealing with 50% ley, not 33% etc... Vicki

6. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, so what kind of container does this come in and what is the cost compared to straight lye? I wonder if my company carries it. I need to get more soon.

7. NubianSoaps.com

I won't get a cost until I get a number for storage of hazardous material here. Texas law. For awhile my feed dealer was just going to order it for me, but they did not have the right liscense. Vicki