store OUT of alfalfa pellets till Thurs

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Apr 21, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

The store is Out of alfalfa pellets AGAIN :mad The computer was showing a pallet in the back so NOT ordered, it instead is a pallet of Cubes innocent mistake, but Now what do I do with the girls??

I have 1/2 a bag of Pellets, there arne't any available anywhere I've tried.
    Options
    1 crappy Hay IF I can find some.

2 Alfalfa cubes, they never have eaten them before, will they choke?

3 rabbit pellets with added crap in them (forage products) whatever that means.

and are they going to get horrible Sick on me crashing off pellets? :crazy

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you could get the cubes but them break them up as the goats won't eat them other wise.

3. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

When I had to buy cubes instead of pellets, I just took a hammer and laid them on the tailgate of the pickup - hit them a couple of times to break them up. The goats ate them okay. Last year about every other time I went in to get pellets they were out.I switched stores and haven't had a problem since.

4. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Have you tried the local farm elevators?
    Barbara

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Sherrie,
    Some of the pet stores, like pet supply, or soldans carry pellets.. try them.. you will pay a little more, but could get just enough to get you through.. I always and I mean always order special when I get down to two weeks supply, mice don't like them so they store well in a barn stacked on a pallet
    Barb

6. Ours really like the cubes for snackies. They chew on them like bubble gum. Sorry your having problems with pellets. Tammy

7. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Barbara, I've Always had this problem feeding pellets for years so I've called everybody at one time or another. One place I used last year is this year out of business. I guess I'll keep calling around and in the meanwhile at least the cubes are $ 3 cheaper! I made special Point to tell them they were Out when I bought the last five bags on last monday. Arrggh. I'm going to make it a point to Call and harass them every time from now on. I see your out of pellets when will they be in???? The Manager for cruds sakes has a beautiful small herd of Toggs her daughter used to show in 4-h, they are now just barn ornaments. I ought to buy them. they are Awesome milkers she won year after year the milk competition.

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I try to keep at least 5 days ahead for this reason... 2x recently they have not had our full orders worth so that cushion helped.

Hope you find some...

9. Hope you find some pellets soon. I wish we could have brought more up.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Thank goodness for those that you did Amy. I did tell them the day that I took all five remaining bags that they were out.. I forgot to follow up with a phone call asking when they would be in again.. I hate having to run my business my barn my house and Their store too! lol!

11. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I have used the cubes on lots of occasions, but always soak them. Of course they cannot be left out long, but the goats do eat them, especially mixed with beet pulp. I got several bales of really nice alfalfa this week to add to their timothy hay and they are sooooooooooo happy. Believe me, I have ran out of all sorts of things, and have had to use all kinds of substitues, but luckily I also have horses and so seem to have the bare minimum around, plus some extras that can be used in a pinch. Nothing has seemed to affect milk production as much as stress. We have several small goat shelters that work to keep the goats dry, but the wind blows loud in them, and feed gets spilled, etc. Our barn is going up next month and I think that will REALLY help. Don't worry too much...alternatives can and do work in a pinch. Good luck!
    Anita

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

OOOHHH Soak them hmm, we were up till 11 pm last night 2 kids and me with chisels and hammer, and husband useing what else, His band saw. :biggrin (now come on Vickie, sometimes you really do need the Rolling eye icon! lol)

13. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

The things we do for our goats, most people think we are insane you know
    Barbara

14. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yes they do.. That's why I love this forum so, and we all Understand, When no one else has a clue.