Stinky buck remedies?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Okay, I know bucks are supposed to smell pretty strong in the fall. :/ , but, I have my barn builder here, and my barn is going up out in the pasture, with paddocks to be added later. My buck is quite friendly and socialiable, and never a bother.....except now he has gone into rut and my poor barn builder, who was sick last week with the flu, has to try and stomach the smell of buck in rut. Is there anything I can do to make him smell better, such as a bath with,....I don't know what? How long will just regular soap work? A day? An hour? Maybe only a minute or two?
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

If we cut the beards off it takes some of the smell away. We gave our big saanen buck a bath the other day to wash him up as he was all yellow from rubbing on our other big buck and he smelled much nice for about 2-3 days before he got his perfume back on again.

Ray

3. Theresa

Theresa New Member

I know that you can bath him and it might help to clip him. But I don't think it will last for long. He will just be stinky again pretty soon. Could you put him in a different pen until after the barn was finished? His smell will probable get worse before it gets better.
    Theresa

4. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

We went to a farm today and bought a beautiful doe (healthy one, yeah) and we thought she was in heat so we drove to his "bucks" to see if she could be bread...a day late and a dollar short, but she smells terrible!!!!! That stuff gets on your hands - I can't get the smell off of me....my horses can't stop smellin me my two year old almost puked!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you might try dusting him with baking soda to help out for a day or so but ideally you just move the buck so your builder can work in peace

6. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I did end up moving him...but it's not to an ideal location. Hopefully, my human boys and I can get up about two hundred feet of fencing (that's all that is left) and he and his buddy can have a 7 acre field all to themselves.

I did body clip him and even cut off his beard about three weeks ago. Nope, it really didn't help. And he looks funny without his beard.

He runs around now most of the time with his tongue sticking out and I swear it looks like it has HAIR growing on it. Can this be so? Little black dots all over it...Stubble? :/

Anita