Stinking Chestnut Trees?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anita Martin, May 30, 2010.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

The other night when we came home we were greeted by the most obnoxious smell I've smelled in a long, long time. We thought something was terribly wrong with something...just couldn't figure out what it was. I went around the yard sniffing, and the smell seemed strongest at the chestnut tree. The tree has developed some small clusters of small, long flowery looking things and the smell seemed to be coming from those flowers or seed pods, or whatever they are.

Is this normal for a chestnut tree? From what I could gather online, it might be, but some of the sites were x-rated, I guess due to my search for "chest nuts". Anyway, the smell is just awful. How long can I expect this to last? And, maybe its not the flowers of the tree, but another tree? We also have a walnut and a willow, plus a cherry and a pine and several cedar trees...plus some others I cannot identify.

It makes a wonderful shade tree, but if we can't be in the front yard due to the obnoxious smell, I'm thinking it might have to go. And I'm a tree hugger!

2. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Yes it is normal- they are pollinated by carrion flies.
    Just think of all the great nuts and hold your breath!
    We used to have to mow under 2 big ones. Needless to say we did not while they were flowering.
    Lee

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Unfortunately they are right in the front yard, not 30 feet from the front door. We park the cars in the drive on the other side of the trees, and then have to walk through the middle of the two of them to get to the house...yep, I can see how carrion flies would think them grand.