Stimulating a Yearling for Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Liberty Alpines, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Liberty Alpines

Liberty Alpines New Member

Hi,

Maybe this is an odd question but I just thought I would put it out here. Can you stimulate a yearling that has never produced milk?

Anyone ever done this or had experience with it?

Thanks all!

Kristin

2. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Hi Kristin,
    Sorry but no you can not get a doe to produce milk if she has never been bred and has never kidded. On a rare occasion a doe will have what is called precocious udder and give milk when they have not been bred but you can not just make one give milk.
    Clay

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

You can with people...especially with hormones such as oxytocin...I doubt you woudl ever get enough to satisfy your demand, even when they can with people it is rarely enough to not have to supplement with a bottle but might be worth a shot just for the curiosity of it. I'd likely use a milk machine as well.

4. Liberty Alpines

Well, I don't have a milk machine, but these babies sure can get after it! That was kind of my thought, why not just let the babies try? I was just wondering if anyone would have any concerns of it messing up their udders, or maxing them out, something like that. Since their body wouldn't naturally be in "milk-making mode'. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else have anything to say? Kristin

5. Rose

Rose New Member

If they are bottle babies already, will they know what the teat is for?

Will the does let the babies suck at all, or will you have a rodeo on your hands?

6. Liberty Alpines

Yes, they are bottle babies for the noon feeding, but for am and pm I put the does in the stand and they know EXACTLY what to do. :) And the does don't have much say in it. :) Basically they just got used to it and said, oh well, and eat their grain. Kristin

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I bet these does that have never freshen will not stand still to be nursed. A doe who has never kidded will jump and kick like a horse until after they freshen. Then the same doe who would not allow herself to be touched will stand meekly to be milked or nursed. It is a true phenomina when you see the change.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have to agree with Tim
    But I have to also wonder why in the world you would want to do this to an unbred yearling anyway.

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Why?

You have bottle babies which I assume are raised on CAE prevention (otherwise why would you bottle feed?). Why are you even considering this?

Continue to bottle feed your babies and leave your yearlings alone.

Sara

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Hi Kristin,
    I think I have to agree with Sara. I would just continue to bottle feed the babies and leave the yearlings alone.

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Kristen stated that she was frustrated that some of her does did not conceive and were going to have an unproductive year, therefore she was toying with this idea of bring them into lactation. I understood her premise although I would just leave them alone too. :D

12. Liberty Alpines

Thanks for clarifying Diane, my thoughts exactly. I think I will leave them alone though. Kristin

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UMMM me sees say's the Blind Man :)
    Yep Kristin think leaving them alone is the best choice