Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving my herd the aeuromycin crumbles and LA200 injections for awhile now. Ok, I'm not too happy with the LA200 and neither are they. But I have to use it up. They hurt so bad they lay down and seem to almost faint. It seems i have one goat cured and then another that i thought was all better gets ill again, I just can't get the whole herd all well at once. Then there is one MM doe that has had a "dry" cough for 3 months or more, different than the others, which have loose snot and stuff. None of these goats seem real sick, just barely. No temps. Just irritating colds or whatever. The two that I posted the "wet tail" pics still seem pregnant so I am wondering if they could have just lost one fetus and are still carrying kid(s)?

I have 2 different families wanting milkers now but can't sell sick goats. i am overwhelmed and exhausted by this and tired of giving shots. I am beginning to just feel like giving up and just wait and see what happens when it turns spring and there is not more cool weather but i know that is stupid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
You don't have to use the injectable unless you have fever. Continue the crumbles until summer. It will take a long time to subside. Mycoplasma is in 3 forms, pnemonia, mastitis and arthritic swellings of the joints. You might want to vaccinate for this on any incoming stock or goats you keep out of all this. But your crumbles are part of the future of your herd until herdwide you are symptom free. Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the 3 forms of mycoplasma display itself in one herd or does a herd just get one type? Should i expect mastitis and joint problems too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,497 Posts
It depends on your does immunity and if they even have mycoplasma :) Hopeing for you it was just a pnemonia and the cough is some scar tissue, but it should stop running it's course through the herd soon. Vicki
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I was planning on dam-raising some of the kids...any LM bucklings and the Boer babies. Now I am afraid they will get sick. This also leaves me with having to move my pre-existing kid pen to another location so the babies cannot touch noses through the fence with the sick adults. What should i do about the babies i wanted to dam-raise, as i only wanted to bottle-raise certain doelings. (no kids born yet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wondering if the above question was just dumb. I wanted to dam-raise the bucklings as they will be for meat or whatever and I don't want to bottle-raise that many, no time or energy for it with 11 does kidding. But don't want them to get sick either with the cold/snots/cough that is going around. First doe due soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,442 Posts
personally I would just dam raise them they should get some immunity from the moms , keep on top of cocci prevention and give the kids a shot of Bose when born. Also I would give your does that are hacking away some benedryl and lots of VIT C , stop the injuctable LA200 and continue the crumbles like your doing letting those new bucklings have the crumbles also .
I was going to dam raise most of the bucklings here too but have decided to butcher them fairly soon as Ogden said they are just like rabbits as new borns. At least I am not going to grow them out this year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,466 Posts
Yep I'm going to butcher any buckling Bonnie has As I don't have a deposit on , and I kept her buck kid from last year. I don't need a whole herd of Bonnies' boys lol. But pagan , She has had three spectacular bucks in a row, and If she has another nice one, it's mine.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top